Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tantillus calculator

Posted by jamdat 
Tantillus calculator
May 05, 2016 10:30AM
Does anybody have a backup or access to the Tantillus.org calculators for print settings?
The tantillus.org site went down a while ago, and now it has disappeared from archive.org [web.archive.org]

I have a site snapshot (found here), but it's calling a .php page which was not captured.
Re: Tantillus calculator
May 05, 2016 04:20PM
Is the site listed for sale? That is just a recent page capture from this year, try going back to 2014 in the web archive and you should be able to open the calculator. Didn't play with it myself, but the page did load when I was looking at it this past weekend.
May 05, 2016 05:28PM
Kurzaa
Is the site listed for sale? That is just a recent page capture from this year, try going back to 2014 in the web archive and you should be able to open the calculator. Didn't play with it myself, but the page did load when I was looking at it this past weekend.
It loaded for me as well when I looked at it last week. It seems, however, that whoever bought it put up a robots.txt file within the last couple days. Archive.org respects this and doesn't crawl the page anymore. Weirdly though, they apply this retroactively and have removed access to ALL previously archived versions. For all intents and purposes, tantillus.org doesn't exist on archive.org anymore.
May 07, 2016 09:35AM
The loss of the calculator is a tragedy. Those settings were well thought out and difficult to replicate.
May 07, 2016 08:31PM
Crud. I was looking to start working on mine again.
May 08, 2016 02:20AM
robster34
The loss of the calculator is a tragedy. Those settings were well thought out and difficult to replicate.
Indeed. The calculator is constantly referenced in the build manual. It's such a shame.
Why archive.org's policy for storing a site is the way it is, is beyond me. It's effectively useless as an 'archive' if a domain squatter can wipe out the entire history of a site with one file. Enraging.

Martin H
Crud. I was looking to start working on mine again.
Same position here. I carefully collected parts over a year and was waiting for a good time to start. Time arrived, worked for two days and bam, site gone. Frustrating.
I'm going to try to build it anyway and get the prints as good as I can. I have all the pieces, so why not?
May 08, 2016 02:47PM
Brad (Sublime) literally has fallen off of the map. I know him personally and cannot get in contact with him at all. I'll keep trying to get some contact from him, as I myself am trying to finish my tantillus build. I have since switched gears to build another small printer, which was the reason I wanted to build a tantillus in the first place.

So in saying that, does anyone else know of a good online calculator? Or anyone have good sources to the formulas used?

Regards,
Kurtis
May 08, 2016 07:13PM
Here's a post by Sublime in this forum:

[forums.reprap.org]
May 09, 2016 12:45AM
Thanks!
May 23, 2016 05:42PM
I hope this thread doesn't discourage anyone from building a Tantillus printer. You can run the printer with any tool chain, though Sublime fine-tuned his prints around Kisslicer. The printer is exceptionally precise, and the Tantillus calculator gave a set of quick-start values that assured exceptional print quality on any properly built Tantillus. You can get the same results on Tantillus without the calculator, but you might need to run some experiments to fine tune parameters such as speed, extrusion temperature, and layer height.

kburr: I'd love to hear if Sublime surfaces again. We miss his contributions.
May 25, 2016 08:28AM
I'm not discouraged. I can see what a great contribution Sublime made to the 3d printer effort.

So I'm buying parts slowly while also repairing a Mendel i2.

I do have a question about how to workout acceleration optimization. I believe I will focus on using TeaCup firmware. Anyone have advice ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2016 08:28AM by apple_muncy.
May 25, 2016 07:12PM
My thoughts:

- study the early phases of this forum as the topic of print speed was discussed at length
- Either use the original Marlin firmware or replicate those settings in TeaCup. Unless you MUST have Teacup, using the original firmware might eliminate some frustration
- Print fast! That's one of the takeaways from this printer. You can get much better features with a well-tuned printer screaming around corners, not waiting for plastic to ooze where you don't want it

Almost everything you need to get a stock printer up and running is in the archives of this forum somewhere. The end result won't disappoint you.
May 26, 2016 03:18AM
robster34
Unless you MUST have Teacup, using the original firmware might eliminate some frustration

Doesn't sound like you ever used Teacup firmware. Teacup makes a lot of tasks actually easier.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 26, 2016 08:40AM
Hey Traumflug : )
Normally I do not want to take up the time of prime developers !

So one of the big reasons for me selecting Ultimate/Tantillus design is the symmetry of inertia of xy axis therefore I find it somewhat ironical that each of the 4 files of Teacup_firmware/config/printer.*.h treat treat xy axis as if they are symmetrical but in reality those other designs are not. I conclude my concern about firmware configuration this early is ill advised.
May 26, 2016 11:59PM
Traumflug
robster34
Unless you MUST have Teacup, using the original firmware might eliminate some frustration

Doesn't sound like you ever used Teacup firmware. Teacup makes a lot of tasks actually easier.

No offense intended!!! Just noting that the Tantillus Marlin has all the configurations done, including the custom LCD menu. One less set of variables to mess with as the hardware is wrung out.
May 27, 2016 04:47AM
First, no offense taken. I just see people wrestling a lot with configuration.h, a file which needs no touching when using Teacup. And I see Marlin often considered as superior, just because it's more popular.

apple_muncy
So one of the big reasons for me selecting Ultimate/Tantillus design is the symmetry of inertia of xy axis therefore I find it somewhat ironical that each of the 4 files of Teacup_firmware/config/printer.*.h treat treat xy axis as if they are symmetrical but in reality those other designs are not. I conclude my concern about firmware configuration this early is ill advised.

Now I'm wondering what you mean with "symmetrical".

Anyways, if a Tantillus deviates substantially from a Mendel regarding configuration, please upload such a configuration here or send it by email and I'll happily add it to the repo.

Even display stuff is almost done in Teacup, the next few days I'll finish this up. And I could benefit from a bit help, because I was never a display addict, so I have not much of an idea on what to show on such a device.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

May 27, 2016 12:57PM
Traumflug
Anyways, if a Tantillus deviates substantially from a Mendel regarding configuration, please upload such a configuration here or send it by email and I'll happily add it to the repo.

Even display stuff is almost done in Teacup, the next few days I'll finish this up. And I could benefit from a bit help, because I was never a display addict, so I have not much of an idea on what to show on such a device.

Sublime did all the original work and his github repository is the starting point for most Tantillus builds. For those of us with very limited Arduino skills, it's helpful to have something prepackaged...it just works. I can't provide better guidance on Sublime's modifications...quite frankly I've just started with his and made relatively small changes to suit my purposes.

I know almost nothing about Teacup, but if it's better, I'd love to see a version for Tantillus.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2016 01:19PM by robster34.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login