Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NYC RUG at Maker Faire

Posted by psytek 
NYC RUG at Maker Faire
May 11, 2010 10:45AM
Hey Everyone,

Was wondering if there is any interest in setting up a booth at Maker
Faire this September. I read on another post that there was. If you'd like to help out let me know.

psytek

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2010 10:45AM by psytek.
Re: NYC RUG at Maker Faire
May 21, 2010 11:16AM
We should probably have a few mini Mendels ready by then. We are currently finishing our repstrap.

I could help too. Let me know what is needed.
May 21, 2010 01:16PM
I think we'll have at least 3 people from the Frozen North. (Ottawa)

Do you have your application in?

You'll probably want a 10x30 booth, with a 10x10 Commercial-zoned sub-booth. Folk who are selling stuff will split the $389 fee for the commercial-zoned sub-booth. I'll have a better sense of our needs Sunday evening, after the Bay Area Maker Faire.

I think we should have a post on the main blog up around early to mid july.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
August 04, 2010 12:34PM
Did anyone ever register for this? I've applied for 2 tables for a '3D Printer Village' and should find out next week if it got approved. I'll be bringing a MakerBot and a Mendel, but I'd love to get as many printers there as possible.
August 04, 2010 12:57PM
That sounds perfect for us. Looking forward to meeting you all and checking out the printers.
August 06, 2010 04:51PM
I just got the approval today, we're approved for the 3D Printer Village. At this point I don't know who will attend, but I'm starting to keep track of some details here:

[3dprintervillage.posterous.com]

Ideally we'd love to have 6-8 printers of various types throughout the weekend - I think this will draw a big crowd.

Let me know if you have questions / suggestions / want to bring a printer or something else!!

JohnA.
August 06, 2010 06:56PM
I did a Mini-Maker Faire the last couple of years and one thing I regretted was not having business cards to hand out when people ask where they can find out more information. For the Detroit Maker Faire, I printed out 150 cards and handed them out in about half the time I was there. So, I would guess that I should have had 300 cards. 500 might be a good safe number.

I've attached the image I printed out to make the cards. You'll want to remove the stuff about MIRUG.

Also, it threatened to rain that weekend and I wished I had brought a tarp in case I had to cover things up.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
Attachments:
open | download - MiRUG-cardx1.svg (5 KB)
August 07, 2010 01:48PM
These are great tips for us to know! We'll definitely use some of the ideas from your cards too. I requested a spot under cover, so hopefully we'll be out of the weather.

mccoyn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did a Mini-Maker Faire the last couple of years
> and one thing I regretted was not having business
> cards to hand out when people ask where they can
> find out more information. For the Detroit Maker
> Faire, I printed out 150 cards and handed them out
> in about half the time I was there. So, I would
> guess that I should have had 300 cards. 500 might
> be a good safe number.
>
> I've attached the image I printed out to make the
> cards. You'll want to remove the stuff about
> MIRUG.
>
> Also, it threatened to rain that weekend and I
> wished I had brought a tarp in case I had to cover
> things up.
August 09, 2010 06:09PM
hey y'all. just clicking through some Maker Faire links and found this thread.

regarding promotion and business cards, our expectations are that Maker booths will interact with anywhere from 500-2000 people per day.

not everybody will want a card, probably only 10-20%, but that's 50-400/day, or 100-800 for the weekend, so yeah I think 500 is a good mid-point. Also feel free to do like TechShop does and use a printer to write business cards on the fly!

see y'all there!
ciao,
Nick Normal
August 10, 2010 03:28AM
Dedicated NYC-MakerFaire mailing list: smiling bouncing smiley
http://lists.reprap.org/pipermail/nyc-makerfaire/

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login