Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tiny Planetary Gears / Week of June 23 - July 3, 2012

Posted by Greg Frost 
Re: Tiny Planetary Gears / Week of June 23 - July 3, 2012
July 05, 2012 07:53AM
That is odd, I never had any issues with hole sizes being wrong. Holes being in-filled was an issue!

Check the Estep calibration in firmware again? you may just be over extruding?

Have you made a new config from scratch for Slic3r V0.8.4? there were a few issues with importing older issues of configs into new versions of Slic3r.

It could also be worth asking Sublime, he has done a lot with Slic3r and may well know why it's not correct for you.

The settings I used for the planets were exactly the same but using perimeters set to 10, that just forced Slic3r version 0.8.3 to NOT fill-in the middle section, it was the only way I could get them to print for me with that version.

With Version 0.8.4 they work with perimeter set to 1

And everything fits perfectly - apart from the main bolts are quite loose in the nuts, but are fine when tightened up.

For the big version I scales everything by 350% and it all fitted perfectly.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
July 05, 2012 01:32PM
richrap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It could also be worth asking Sublime, he has done
> a lot with Slic3r and may well know why it's not
> correct for you.

0.8.4 has a bug that makes all objects 0.1mm larger by miscalculating the perimeter so that would cause the peg to not fit in the hole.

[github.com] It has been fixed in the Git version and will be in the next release.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
July 05, 2012 02:47PM
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Well done on the win, very nice print indeed. Were
> all the colours done in PLA or is it ABS?
> The yellow looks like PLA but I can't tell with
> the other ones.
>
> I would try to print the Quadcopter blade, but I
> usually hate Support structure, but then again
> this is a printing competition, so maybe we can
> all learn a thing or too about support.
>
> I would have cut it in half at the middle and
> printed it vertically to avoid support, then
> joined it back together.
>
> Let us know if that's the challenge.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rich.

I used ABS for the parts.

I've decided to make the propeller blades as the challenge, since it seems support material is a sticky subject for many reprappers.

I'm a little concerned the propeller would fail if split in the middle given the high forces in flight. If you want to give it a shot that way, feel free.

www.Fablicator.com
July 05, 2012 02:52PM
Double post,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 02:54PM by Andrew Diehl.

www.Fablicator.com
July 11, 2012 07:32PM
Look, I know it's late and it's rubbish and it's only one stage and it doesn't work very well but...

I made it after weeks of trying.

It actually fitted together and just about turns.

And I'm really proud of it.spinning smiley sticking its tongue outthumbs upsmileys with beer>grinning smiley<smiling bouncing smiley

Try not to laugh too much!

This was printed using slic3r 0.8.5dev and the new flow branch. 0.3 layer height with a 0.4mm J Head mk IVb. I use Pronterface and Sprinter firmware.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
July 13, 2012 03:00PM
Scrub the bits about being rubbish and not working. I worked out how to put it together!

Single stage sun and planet gear box.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
July 14, 2012 03:33PM
There's no stopping me now. Three stages and running like a dream!

Stationary

And in Motion

RichRap knows how to make a man feel inadequate!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login