Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Double Helix / Week of July 31 to Aug 6 - 2012

Posted by Andrew Diehl 
Double Helix / Week of July 31 to Aug 6 - 2012
July 30, 2012 11:25AM
I haven't heard from Greg, so I'm going to go ahead and post another competition here to get things going again.

I made this a while ago, and it is both cool to have lying around and a challenge for bridging! Good luck!

[www.thingiverse.com]

www.Fablicator.com
Re: Double Helix / Week of July 31 to Aug 6 - 2012
July 30, 2012 11:15PM
I keep meaning to get around to printing a competition piece, but I never do. I will have to this time. Need to switch colors though, the silver PLA I have sags really badly on bridges.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
July 31, 2012 05:02PM
I'm having a go at this as well although I'm having a problem. One of the Helix has excess plastic like a fungus on one face. The other helix looks good and the bridges between the helices are well formed. I'm using lift and retraction. Looking closely, the overhangs are not very tidy. I'm using a 2 hour old 0.8.5 dev of slic3r from the master branch.

Printing with 0.1mm layers 50%infill every 2 layers 185 degrees in PLA.

Anyone got any good ideas?

Bad boy helix
Good boy helix

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2012 05:07PM by MotoBarsteward.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
July 31, 2012 05:10PM
August 01, 2012 02:05AM
Yes.

Bleeding obvious really. Should have thought of this myself.

Time to wheel out the old desk fan, me thinks.

Sublime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you have a fan blowing from one side only?

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
August 01, 2012 03:18PM
You could try printing 2 at once winking smiley

August 02, 2012 02:56PM
Tried the desk fan. Didn't make much difference but screwed up the cross bars. The over-hanging side of the helix is pretty atrocious. I have just started using a brand new 100mm hank of Faberdashary Earl Grey 3mm PLA having used prety well every other colour in their range to print angry birds. I'm going to re-calibrate and check my machine as the print quality is off from what it used to be.

Bruce, those look of exceptional quality. Want to let us know how you printed them (PLA/ABS? slicer/skeinforge? setting files?)

August 02, 2012 03:01PM
I'm having strange slicing issues on this model... it prints great, but when it gets to the bridge, it tries to start in the middle of the object (in free air) and draw outward toward each tower. It does that a couple times, and then it makes a figure eight shaped outline which bridges from tower to tower a couple times, and those bridge quite well. Then it does a couple more start in the center and work outward bridges, which work ok because they're depositing on top of the central full-span bridges.

I thought that it might be nyquist aliasing causing the problem, and I turned my layer size down from 0.3mm to 0.15mm. That made my rounded edges on the base look awesome, but didn't solve the bridging issue.

I'm using slic3r 0.8.5-dev.
August 02, 2012 05:46PM
It was printed from a sample spool of ABS from a new supplier, it seems to stick a bit better than what we have been using so far.
The nozzle used is a .4.

This is the Slic3r settings.

; generated by Slic3r 0.8.4 on 2012-08-01 at 13:09:38

; layer_height = 0.2
; perimeters = 2
; solid_layers = 3
; fill_density = 0.26
; nozzle_diameter = 0.38
; filament_diameter = 2.89
; extrusion_multiplier = 0.9
; perimeter_speed = 48
; infill_speed = 60
; travel_speed = 160
; scale = 1
; single wall width = 0.40mm

M190 S133 ; wait for bed temperature to be reached
M104 S224 ; set temperature
G28 ; home all axes
M109 S224 ; wait for temperature to be reached
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
G21 ; set units to millimeters
G92 E0 ; reset extrusion distance
M82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion

We are pretty new to Slis3r so we are still fiddling with it.

Although the nozzle temp says 224 it reads 232 with a probe, which is as cool as we could go without having extrusion problems.
The bed temp is also out of whack, in case you are wondering: Why so hot? We really should tune in our thermistor tables.
There was a problem with bridges sagging on the first attempt with the extrusion_multiplier set to 1 so I dropped it to .9..... and I used a fan.
August 05, 2012 08:45PM
Just in time, here's my effort for this week.
My first attempt was pretty awful - just demonstrates the importance of a fan. I didn't have one for the Mendel90.
So, I then spent most of the weekend (when I wasn't watching the Olympics) designing prototype fan ducts. Finally, this evening I managed to make one that worked and fitted onto the printer.
And the acid test ...

I sliced the model using slic3r 0.8.3 and there is a problem with the gcode because the nozzle frequently doubled back on the bridges before it had reached the other side. To be a fair test of the fan, I decided to use the same file again.

There is a dramatic improvement in the vertical spirals, but still the same problem (nor surprising really) with some of the bridges. I cleaned these up and the resulting print is really quite acceptable now.

richgain
August 06, 2012 06:55PM
Printed on Prusa using UltiMachine silver and .35mm nozzle
Sliced with KISSlicer at .2mm layer height
Attachments:
open | download - Helix_Side.JPG (309.5 KB)
open | download - Helix_Top.JPG (89.2 KB)
August 10, 2012 07:55PM
2bad this topic is bleeding to death.....

i love to check this thread seeing the nice things ppl make
August 11, 2012 01:26AM
Bah! Sorry I forgot to check up on this!

Bruce is the official winner with excellent bridging and quality, and simple no-hardware-required solution to the layer cooling.

Congratulations!

www.Fablicator.com
August 13, 2012 05:48PM
Oh..... Thank you Andrew, didn't realize I had actually entered the contest. confused smiley
August 13, 2012 06:39PM
hahahahaha well posting a picture with an extra post for all the settings makes it a little .......... (pls fill in the blanks)

maybe next time in front of the post this line

I am entering the contest with this:

for now you will have to get next object as i can understand why he chosen you as the winner :-)
August 14, 2012 05:43AM
If you don't have an idea I suggest an ABS adhesion to bed challenge : the ball and socket part of [www.thingiverse.com] (BallSocketSR.stl) has such a little bed contact that I had to resort modifying the model and using kapton to have it printed - no way to do this on heated glass only, even with a brim, an "abs glue" attempt etc.

I'd like to see what people come up with to have it adhere to their bed (besides kapton).

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
August 14, 2012 12:13PM
W need a "if you post here you are implying participation" disclaimer

www.Fablicator.com
August 15, 2012 12:13PM
To the winner go the spoils. You get....... To make a mew competition! This is beginning to sound like work, lol.

I already had a print in mind DeuxVis. However, if you win the competition you can create it yourself. I thought it only fitting that since the validity of my hobbed bolt design was brought into question eye rolling smiley on another thread that I would post something with lots of retractions.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login