Advanced

Printed Fabric - 23rd Oct -> 6th Nov

Posted by richrap 
Printed Fabric - 23rd Oct -> 6th Nov
October 23, 2012 08:32AM
How about this for a challenge!
It's the amazing printed fabric by the extremely talented prettysmallthings

Image by prettysmallthings - thingiverse

Edit - Just spotted I didn't actually link to the Object - Here it is - eye rolling smiley

I have always wanted to get really good looking printed 'chain-mail' and this printed 'fabric' looks awesome.

I have not yet printed this myself, so I'm expecting some trouble and issues before I get a good print, I'm also expecting that I may even need to change the Marlin firmware as I have some aggressive settings in for my current printer.

Rules are simple - Print it how you like, just state if it's smaller, bigger or altered in any way than the original.
Describe your setup and if you needed to do anything differently to get the print to work.

Major bonus points if you attempt this with a 'rubber' plastic (soft PLA for example)

If this looks easy for you and you have a printer that can do it without any problem whatsoever, then make something 'new' with this printed 'fabric'
It's getting cold so maybe you could make a Scarf? Hat! or even a Thneed tongue sticking out smiley

If you do that and publish it, you will be regarded as a RepRap hero and probably win the competition!

Good luck and if you try a print, post details here even if it's a failure, hopefully we can all learn some new tricks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2012 03:16PM by richrap.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
Re: Printed Fabric - 23rd Oct -> 6th Nov
October 23, 2012 09:19AM
does anyone know if any US distributors carry soft PLA?
I printed a blue clutch and my advise is make sure the bed is perfectly level!

I sliced it with Kisslicer in about 15 minutes when i printed it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 08:18AM by Gulf.
October 23, 2012 02:52PM
Is it OK to try "parent" [www.thingiverse.com] or "cousins" [www.thingiverse.com] ?
October 23, 2012 03:20PM
@Gulf - Sorry I don't - in fact the only place I do know is GRRF in Germany. I Hope someone will try it.

@tertzoid - Yes,no problem, try them all. I had limited success trying to print the original chain mail when it first came out, but I had a very different printer then...

[richrap.blogspot.com]
October 23, 2012 06:23PM
heheh

Everybody needs a Thneed .

Its a fine thing that all people need!

and now you can save the trees and print one

couldnt resist!

i got some Glacial Blue pla i need to use up to clear a spool

if i have time in the morning might set it to print and hopefully come back to a suprise after work
October 24, 2012 04:49AM
Enlightx Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if i have time in the morning might set it to
> print and hopefully come back to a suprise after
> work

Did you slice it yet?

I had to make the model a little smaller to fit on the 200x200 platform of the smaller MendelMax and Sliced it last night with Slic3r 0.9.1 - It managed to do it with one warning about self intersecting faces - slice time was 2hours 5mins! (0.2mm layers) - the Gcode looks good, so I'll try the print tonight if the settings were correct and it's not trying to print too fast.

I should have sliced and printed the fabric test sample first, that should slice in just a few seconds, so before I set off a big print, I will refine the settings first.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
October 24, 2012 05:16AM
I tried [www.thingiverse.com] 5x5 with Slic3r 0.9.3. one 2x2 chain corner was sliced differently ("double fibers"). It printed out with clear PLA (sorry no pics yet) partly well, but chains were melted with eachother (no fan) . Somewhat fexible output anyway.
Next I'm going to try make thin "fibery" grid using that melting as advantage: -)
like #########
October 24, 2012 06:18AM
richrap
Major bonus points if you attempt this with a 'rubber' plastic (soft PLA for example)

Would love to try printing this using my soft PLA from the GRRF but I leave for Hawaii tomorrow morning and just don't have time. Maybe when I get back... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
October 24, 2012 10:10AM
rhmorrison Wrote:
> Would love to try printing this using my soft PLA
> from the GRRF but I leave for Hawaii tomorrow
> morning and just don't have time. Maybe when I
> get back... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Well I guess that's a good enough excuse! Have fun in Hawaii, we may have mastered it by the time you get back smiling smiley

[richrap.blogspot.com]
October 24, 2012 01:38PM
well had a look at this late last night.

Didnt fit on my bed (prusa I2) and didnt want to shrink it down as the parts are already silly small.

Sliced it at 60mm/sec and 20mm/sec bridges took i would say 15 mins to slice i think

THINGIVERSE 33054

cut it down to a nice printable sqaure which could then be used as truly fabric (i DARE someone to make a tshirt)

Got up for work this morning and set it printing before i left at 7:30 AM and just hoped for the best

got in from work and its come out really really good. dont know how long the print took as it was running from SD Card.

little tip : use water down PVA for your heated bed when using PLA Plastic. Then after the print has finished let the glass cool and remove take down to a sink and cover with soapy water. this will melt the PVA and lift the print very very easy.

I took a quick video to show you guys as a picture does not do it justice

YOUTUBE
October 24, 2012 06:28PM
Enlightx thats awesome! I'm amazed that it turned out so well. You must have one seriously well calibrated printer.

Can these patches be linked with eachother by hand? I'd print a T-shirt if it didnt mean trying to connect patches together with wire.

-Tom
October 24, 2012 08:15PM
When I printed it on my prusa I re-sized it so it fit on my 200mm HPB, the size change didn't seem to cause a problem. I scaled it 0.92X 0.95Y 1.00Z
I will print another one for this comp when I can get my broken glass replaced, I was impatient and hit a part to get it off when everything was still hot.
I have a .35mm nozzle and used .20mm layer height
October 25, 2012 01:59PM
well calibrated printer LOL

i dont think anyone has a well calibrated printer.

i think were at a stage were so much new stuff is out all the time unless you have more then 2 printers you will never truly have a well calibrated printer long enough to keep it calibrated.

i got major Z wobble on mine but not bothering to fix it as im in the middle of doing a Prusa I3
October 25, 2012 03:08PM
Better than my X-carriage wobble from balance issues. Too bad there isnt time to work on it. Too busy building my MendelMax smiling smiley

-Tom
October 30, 2012 10:48AM
> little tip : use water down PVA for your heated
> bed when using PLA Plastic. Then after the print
> has finished let the glass cool and remove take
> down to a sink and cover with soapy water. this
> will melt the PVA and lift the print very very
> easy.

I do the same thing with Hairspray, i think its easier to put on and it definitly dries faster.
Check out my post to see what I use (if there was comercial grade hairspray, this would be it tongue sticking out smiley)
[gearforge.blogspot.ca]
October 31, 2012 06:49AM
I had a go at the square that Enlightx put up.

Miserable failure!

Enlightx do you have any other slicer settings you think pertinent? I think my issues are largely with dragging plastic about and poor bridges, but even on repetier's screen the model looked a bit of a mess .... dont think it sliced well...

Oh well ... another day, another go ...
Attachments:
open | download - 2012-10-31 10.24.45.jpg (443 KB)
open | download - 2012-10-31 10.25.01.jpg (425.7 KB)
October 31, 2012 10:15AM
My first attempt with a modified version of the STL file.
I removed the middle four rows of links and then joined the two halves back together. Then I had to scale the model down to 95% size and finally got it to fit on a standard Mendel bed.

Sadly the quality wasn't quite as good as when I printed the test square, possibly because of the scaling factor.
I may get the time to have one more go with a few tweaks, but if not perhaps someone else would like to give it a go.

Attachments:
open | download - ClutchBag4Mendel.7z (476.4 KB)
October 31, 2012 03:10PM
richgain Wrote:
> My first attempt with a modified version of the
> STL file.
> I removed the middle four rows of links and then
> joined the two halves back together. Then I had to
> scale the model down to 95% size and finally got
> it to fit on a standard Mendel bed.

That's a good mod, the original scaled version didn't print well for me.
It looks like your's printed quite well, but does it act like fabric?, most of my test strips do not all fold and flex well.

>
> Sadly the quality wasn't quite as good as when I
> printed the test square, possibly because of the
> scaling factor.
> I may get the time to have one more go with a few
> tweaks, but if not perhaps someone else would like
> to give it a go.
>

I have 10 test squares and not one I'm all that happy with.

Printing with a 0.5mm nozzle seems to be causing some issues for me, but I am trying to print it without ANY extruder retraction, is anyone else doing that successfully? if not what minimum extruder distance do you have set in Slic3r?

I wonder if it's easier to print this in ABS? anyone tried?

I did get a better slice when lying about my nozzle size (making it bigger / 0.55mm / Normally 0.42mm) so you have less 'bits' on the ends of each square, they are causing me issues otherwise.

I have also tried it with and without Lift, not much difference.

I think I may just be trying to print too fast, or this is not good to print on a heated bed, anyone with a Blue tape bed, see if you get a good print.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
November 01, 2012 07:55AM
No success sad smiley
I tried also "grid" type printing, It's flexible, but it (PLA) breaks if bend too much. Maybe with nylon, hmm...
Attachments:
open | download - fab1.png (475.6 KB)
open | download - fab2.png (289.7 KB)
VDX
November 01, 2012 08:01AM
... it's not meant to be elastic! - the single segments should come lose as in chain-mail ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 01, 2012 09:35AM
Yeah true. Maybe I try once more, I''ll zoom test piece bigger (1.5x or even bigger), at some point it should work >grinning smiley<
November 01, 2012 10:25AM
My first attempt ,at the fabric turned out as above, all joined together, flexible but not desperate interlinked loops. Is it maybe speed or heat, are we maybe printing too quickly and having our bridges weld. There maybe an ideal layer height for the fabric as well. Just thoughts...
November 08, 2012 03:01PM
I'm going to keep this competition open, as it looks like we still have yet to get good prints of this object and even the fabric.

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that Slic3r can't actually handle this fabric - anyone that has sucesfully used Slic3r (any version) please give us some pointers, I have a stack of printer fabric, and I can see from the GCODE, it's never going to be fully flexible, I'm still seeing parts connected in the GCODE that should have clearance - now tried with a 0.5mm nozzle and a 0.4mm nozzle.

I have made some changes to thefabric material STL, but can't get it to slice - it's just not going well eye rolling smiley

I'm also having major problems getting recent versions of Slic3r to work, if anyone can help with that I may be able to finally get this fabric printed...

@Enlightx Did you use Slic3r? or Kisslicer or Skeinforge. give me a clue smiling smiley (and did you use any extruder retract?)

This Fabric is driving me nutz confused smiley

[richrap.blogspot.com]
November 09, 2012 06:38AM
I doubt this is skeinforge, seems too fast - unless maybe he use pypy to run it ?

Enlightx
Sliced it at 60mm/sec and 20mm/sec bridges took i would say 15 mins to slice i think

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
November 09, 2012 10:00AM
Gave slicing it a try, but that computer I used is near the worst use case for skeinforge :

Build time is 1 hour 7 minutes 35 seconds.
The exported file is saved as Bureau/3D/Competitions/thing33054_square_export.gcode
It took 3 hours 43 minutes 23 seconds to export the file.

And using pypy (as packaged along with Cura) on the same machine :

It took 28 minutes 59 seconds to export the file.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2012 11:13AM by DeuxVis.

November 09, 2012 04:36PM
I sliced my 'almost' version with Kisslicer using these settings.
Hoping to get some time for another go this weekend.

richgain
November 14, 2012 07:27PM
This is the clutch I printed previously it's blue pla from ultimachine. I have a prusa i1 with 1.75mm solastruder and my own hotend with 0.35mm nozzle.
From KISSlicer:
; layer_thickness_mm = 0.2
; extrusion_width_mm = 0.38
; num_loops = 2
; skin_thickness_mm = 0.8
; infill_extrusion_width = 0.35
Attachments:
open | download - Clutch_Filled_V2.JPG (608.7 KB)
November 21, 2012 01:25PM
I've been having trouble getting Slic3r to work with this model as well; I noticed that it doesn't like overly complex models, even after running it through netfabb.

I did find a way of having it work though and here's what I did; First I imported the model into Slic3r 0.9.5's platter, then I exported the STL file. After that, repair that STL through netfabb and it should work. Reduced the time it took for the file to slice from about 370 minutes to 15 minutes.

I had a go at printing the clutch, but had hotend problems halfway though, so I'll be trying again once I get everything sorted out.
November 21, 2012 03:49PM
I had a test run at the square test on my prism. Not really convincing smiling smiley

I might try with soft PLA if I can find the time and energy.

Attachments:
open | download - thing31234_printed_fabric_in_Prism.jpg (207.4 KB)
open | download - thing31234_printed_fabric_test.jpg (168.4 KB)
open | download - thing31234_printed_fabric_bent.jpg (171.3 KB)
January 27, 2013 03:43PM
Haven't forgotten about this one, I has some success at a slightly bigger scale, and with some other 'fabric's' planning to have another go at it soon.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login