Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternative Hot End

Posted by mrjazzitup 
Alternative Hot End
September 30, 2013 02:35PM
I'm thinking of using this product for the hot end:
[www.ebay.com]

However, the part where the filament enters is encased in some sort of molded or printed plastic. Thus, it can't come into contact with a heat sink and dissipate heat in any meaningful way. What would be your recommendation? Should I use the Huxley hot end :[www.emakershop.com]

or should I try to just sandwich the alternative design between a a fan and see if it works?

thanks for the advise
Re: Alternative Hot End
October 01, 2013 01:00PM
You have a 1.1 compatible J-Head mount in the Wooz mod in Github, so you can try it and let us know how well it works smiling smiley
October 01, 2013 02:35PM
where are the instructions of how to use this mod? I searched for wooz in the wiki, no luck. checked youtube and nothing there an asked in the IRC and no help...
October 02, 2013 05:53AM
I think there is no need for instructions: simply print it and assembly it. Besides the screws and nuts for to mount into the x-carriage, I think you need a couple of M3x20 screws and M3 nuts to secure the J-Head groovemount. And there is also a fan support in the same directory.

I'm planning to build a FoldaRap the next month, and I have a J-Head too, but I'm currently looking at the 1.2 version. Not sure at all, but taking into consideration smiling smiley
October 02, 2013 02:17PM
Well no, the J head end is square and the plastic shaft is glued on the rest of it. So the square aluminum block is going to go inside the circular area in the wooz mod or before it is uncertain. What is the protruding hole for in the archlike housing? there are other questions to consider such as do I disassemble the j-head and only use the aluminum block and inser ta shaft through the supplied whole and somehow fashion a rig to attach it to the mod? There are at least some illustrations of how the jhead is attached to this part but none are forthcoming. Before I buy the jhead I want to make sure I can use it otherwise I'll just have to buy the documented part which is the Huxley that has all the instructions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2013 02:20PM by mrjazzitup.
October 02, 2013 03:36PM
Printed right now just to figure out how to assemble the J-Head.

[www.dropbox.com]
October 05, 2013 03:08PM
got it, thanks.
November 14, 2013 09:55AM
The J-Head heater block looks awful close to the mount. Is there a possibility of the area near the heater block melting or deforming?

Anyone consider the PrintrBot hot end?
November 15, 2013 09:06AM
While my question about the heater block is being pondered. Has anyone actually used a J-Head? Do they have a pic of the completed unit to see what any shielding or heat sinking looks like?
November 21, 2013 10:27AM
Hmm maybe or maybe not, if it seems too close someone must try and see smiling smiley
But yes several people are using a J-head (e.g. : [plus.google.com])

About the Printrbot hotend, why not ?
you just need to interface it with the x-carriage like some people did with a j-head
(I don't remembrer if these two hotends use the same geometry for mounting)
November 21, 2013 02:34PM
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I looked around and could not locate his hot end mount files. Does anyone know if they are out there anywhere?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login