Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ball Plunger Spring

Posted by Emmanuel 
Ball Plunger Spring
August 25, 2017 12:27PM
I found that thing few years ago, I will try to replace the locking screws with it, that would make the folding/unfolding much quicker and easier grinning smiley
[www.qwant.com]

Found some suppliers in France too, by searching for "Poussoirs à ressort à bille" smiling smiley
K0334.210

The M12 size should be good, with a ball of 8mm in the frame profile slot of 6mm.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2017 11:53AM by Emmanuel.

about // liberapay // flickr // wiki // thingiverse - github
Re: Ball Plunger Spring
September 06, 2017 05:12PM
06-sept-2017, end of the afternoon...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay !
It works !!!

(Thanks David for the two M4 nylstop that I didn't had to complete this !)

And some videos to show how easy it became.
From 5min to 5sec !

[youtu.be] 1/4
[youtu.be] 2/4
[youtu.be] 3/4
[youtu.be] 4/4

That's so cool grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 05:21PM by Emmanuel.

September 06, 2017 07:37PM
Ohhhhhh yeaaaahhhh! I am from Argentina, and I am a fan of the foldarap. The customs burocracy have delayed my built :'(. These improvement are very cool... Thanks for the entire design!!
How It works that "ball plunger spring"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2017 08:36PM by etilico120.
September 07, 2017 04:49AM
Thanks grinning smiley

The "ball plunger spring" consist of a cylinder in which a sphere is pushed outside by a spring.

It is used in mechanisms like the folding handle of a luggage (the locking position when it is extended).

November 07, 2017 04:43PM
J'ai trouvé la réponse à ma question posée dans un autre topic, excellent trouvaille Emmanuel !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2017 04:43PM by benbois.

BenBois
- Foldarap perso, Roxanne perso, i3 standard -
November 16, 2017 01:41PM
I notice in this case it rotates around the centre of the piece whereas in previous versions it hinged to the side causing the Z axis to rest higher than the pivot when folded. Did you make an intermediary design where it hinged from the side but used the ball springs?
I was working on a foldable printer design a few years back but stopped however I have revamped the idea and been inspired by your wonderful work. However I’m making it at a larger scale and was hoping to use a direct Extruder, which is throwing up an issue or two that I think would be best fixed by offsetting the hinge.
Also, how stable is this setup? Have you ever considered using more Vslot pivoted from the top of Z that can latch on to the Y to create a triangle and add stabilisation? It can then be unlatched to fold up and remain compact.
November 24, 2017 04:19PM
Alas for you I did not made an intermediary design, because now (center hinge) the balls fit the two positions (folded/unfolded).

And I think I see what you mean about the triangulation, as I'm considering to rebuild the Mendel sized FoldaRap, that also came in mind to add a bar.
But for the original size, the spacing between the balls and the spring force, etc. are just right smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login