Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Savannah Area user group

Posted by 2robotguy 
Savannah Area user group
August 11, 2012 11:40PM
All,
Who else out there has a Reprap, makerbot, or a Repstrap? I have moved to the Savannah area from Atlanta with a large user group. Been Reprapping for 3 years now, so if you need any help, just ask. I Can also print parts if you need any locally.

MARK F
Re: Savannah Area user group
November 30, 2012 10:59PM
I don't have one but am intrigued by the idea. I just discovered the RepRap today and I would appreciate any help you could give me. I live in Reidsville (about 70 miles west of Savannah) and get to Savannah frequently.

Lee S
RoeblingGrid
Mic
January 26, 2013 10:51PM
Hi
I live up by Columbia and am very interested in this. I want a printer for my self but see this as an opportunity for some serious philanthropy.

I am considering buying a Solidoodle 2 Pro. I have been weighing starting out building a machine from scratch. I just don't have the resources or time to tweak it til its right. I have the skills and tools but I know how it is jumping into something new like this, I need a functional machine while I'm learning the ins and outs of building these.

Reprap Community Centers in low income neighborhoods. Teach people in these neighborhoods how to build these machines then have a center where people from the neighborhood can come and make things they need free of charge. It can fund itself. Volunteers make x product and sell at flea markets and stores and the money pays for supplies for the center.

I plan on funding my own needs this way whether I can get it up off the ground or not.

I just see it as a way to give real tech experience to people who will never have it offered to them and help economically in hard times.

It doesn't even cause a conflict with members of Reprap who are trying to earn a living at this because face it the people I'm wanting to help wouldn't be buying or building a reprap. They will be playing catch up 10 years from now on crap commercial machines like the inkjets they sell at Walmart.

So thats about how far I am with it.
April 30, 2013 09:50AM
Hi guys! I know this thread is a little old, but I just ordered a RepRapPro Mendel and will be getting it up and running in my tiny backyard makerspace in Statesboro, GA.
August 27, 2013 11:38AM
How is your reprap Pro going? Do you have the single or multiextruder?
September 17, 2013 08:08AM
Hi guys! I am from Augusta, Ga and I am trying to find some (semi) local folks that are into 3D printing. I have a Mendel Prusa Durbie from romscraj.com and have been printing since this past summer. Lately, I've been playing around with Google SketchUp and I finally posted my first Thing on Thingiverse! Anyway, if there is any interest, I might ask the admins to create a CSRA (Central Savannah River Area) users group. Eventually, I'd like to meet some folks in person.
October 04, 2013 04:01PM
I live on the outskirts of savannah and need a tiny bit of help getting a Prussa i3 working. It prints but my bed shuts itself down and fans on the MOSFETs don't seem to be working! I may have wired or set something up wrong
December 09, 2013 11:30AM
ghfame,
I can help you with your machine if you still need it. I live in Pooler, Ga
Starting in 3D printing form Halfway
April 13, 2014 08:02PM
Hello

I live on Jekyll Island, am over 70, but am a lifelong ME/EE techie

I decided that further intellectual stimulation was necessary ... to make my own 3D parts for hobby products I design, that use Arduino.
After a deal of search I decided on a Hadron OrdBot, SainSmart RAMPS 1.4, Cura 14.03, EZstruder hot end and SeeMeCNC cold end.
The OrdBot and the PRUSA i3 rework look to be functionally equivalent
I can manage 2D CAD easily, SketchUp is easy, so I have decided to use AutoCAD for my solid models.

I ordered and built the mechanical side of the OrdBot, a bit testy to get the vertical axis motion without binds but it is all assembled
I have tested the stepper drives for the XYZ axis and everything looks OK
The quality of any print is ultimately determined by the "squareness" of the 3 axis - what is normal method of determining the angles - dial indicator, measurement of a test cube ...

I am about to venture into the unknown ~ the assembly and test of the electronics and control system.
As I look at the blogs and wiki's they cater to the community that is already "up and going"
I need the equivalent of 3D Software & Control ~ for Dummies - can anyone lead me to the best links.
I am used to looking at and programming Arduino sketches, so I suppose I would like to see how all the defines and setup() are accomplished on the MEGA for a 3D printing

Something like -

These are the routines for 3 axis control
These are the routines for extrusion ~ feed, speed and temperature control
These are the routines for the hot bed ~ temperature control
These are the routines that take the STL model and produce slices
These are the routines that deliver G code from the slice database
These are the routines that take G code and translate to XYZ coordinates
... and so forth.

It may well be the case that much of this is under the covers, in which case the program flows are key.

If I ever get the software model in my head ~ I am sure things will work out fine.
Until then it is a case of "hunt and peck"

Regards

Rob Jagger
July 29, 2015 08:57PM
I have just completed the assembly of a MendelMax 1.5. I have a Taurino Classic board (a fully compatible Arduino Mega 2560 clone), with a RAMPS 1.4 shield & a LCD shield mounted on the RAMPS. My power supply is 24v as is my kapton bed heater & my hotend.

I have the Arduino IDE & Marlin downloaded. I've got the drivers installed for the Taurino. I am pretty intimidated by the configuration.h file! I want to start out by just hooking up my X,Y & Z steppers and test them. Do you know what changes to the configuration.h file I need to make before uploading it to my board?

I program & run 3 & 5 axis CNC machines for a living, but building this from scratch, has been as challenging as my day job.

Zeke Radford
Meldrim, GA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login