Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sourcing M90 Acrylic Sheets in America?

Posted by CheLucero 
Sourcing M90 Acrylic Sheets in America?
November 25, 2012 01:50AM
Hi all. Looking to build an M90 and I live in America (NYC). Does anyone have experience sourcing the custom-cut acrylic sheets for the frame? It seems like it OUGHT to be pretty trivial, but the requirement for 3/8' and 1/4" both drive the fairly-professional sites price up like crazy for custom cutting, and the lower cost vendors are often ambiguous on what it will actually cost.

Anyone have a reasonable source? (Also, I did check with Home Depot and Lowes; neither fit the bill).
mmt
Re: Sourcing M90 Acrylic Sheets in America?
November 26, 2012 03:10PM
Menards sell acrylic. I've not used them.
If you're not fixed on acrylic, wiki:-
Mendel90 have been made successfully from MDF, Acrylic, Polycarbonate and DiBond.

Mike

MMT
November 26, 2012 08:47PM
Thanks, Mike. They are not local to me (I'm in NYC), and it looks they don't custom cut/ship. I am aware of the other materials options, I just find acrylic to be the most aesthetically appropriate. I'll probably do a dibond or as a last resort MDF if need be, but I'd much prefer the acrylic/polycarb build.

mmt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Menards sell acrylic. I've not used them.
> If you're not fixed on acrylic, wiki:-
> Mendel90 have been made successfully from MDF,
> Acrylic, Polycarbonate and DiBond.
>
> Mike
>
> MMT
November 27, 2012 04:06AM
Hi
I'm in the UK and I built my Mendel90 using polycarbonate sheet. I found that the best source was a local sign-maker who was very happy to cut the pieces to size for me and charged less than $50. I was planning to use acrylic but the supplier advised me that PC was much easier to work with (drill, tap, saw etc.) so I agreed to give it a try. I can certainly recommend it for strength, heat resistance and ease of use.

richgain
[mynext3dprinter.tumblr.com]
mmt
November 27, 2012 02:40PM
NY acrylic Q

Makezine

I've not used any referred to.

Mike

MMT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2012 02:41PM by mmt.
November 28, 2012 06:39PM
I would recommend polycarbonate over acrylic. It's not quite as stiff, but doesn't crack near as easily. If you still want acrylic, I know that Lowe's cuts to size for free.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
A wide variety of polycarbonate sheets and acrylic sheets are availabe online . You can have a look @ [www.plastic-craft.com] for various acrylic sheets .
December 31, 2012 08:03PM
Hello,

A little off topic, but I was wondering if anyone was interested in buying Mendel90 sheets out of ALUMINUM?

I'm in California and looked into it. There needs to be quite a bit of volume (can't just do 1 set).

Any interest?

Thanks, Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2012 09:04PM by cts519chris.
December 31, 2012 10:25PM
3mm Dibond is as stiff as 2.8mm solid aluminium so why bother with solid aluminium. Dibond is cheaper, lighter and much easier to machine.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 01, 2013 01:49PM
Has anyone found a good source for Dibond or similar in the US?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login