Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

0.1mm layerheight problems

Posted by olegodo 
0.1mm layerheight problems
January 25, 2013 03:24AM
Hi.
I have had my Mendel90 printer since early december now (nophead's dibond kit) and it works really well!
But I have found an issue that puzzles me a bit.
To slice I use both Skeinforge, with nopheads settings that came with the kit and Slic3r. The both work fine, but, if i try 0.1mm layerheight the extruder does not extrude anything. on 0.2 all is good.

Hope someone may have some suggestions i can try.

Edit:
I should add that when trying to print in 0.1mm layer height, the extruder does actually feed filament, but at such a slow rate that the amount of plastic coming out of the extruder is microscopic. You can hardly see the extrudergears moving at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2013 03:43AM by olegodo.
Re: 0.1mm layerheight problems
January 25, 2013 08:58AM
Printing at 0.1 takes a fair amount of tuning to get right. I have printed a thing or two at this fine of a resolution, but just to see if I could, really. My default settings are 0.2.

In your settings for skeinforge, you will need to change the ratio for carve and infill to print at 0.1. The ratio is layer width to layer height. I believe the default ratio is 1.8 with a layer height of 0.3. This results in a width of 0.54 mm.

You can't realistically print at a width of less than your nozzle diameter (0.4 mm). So, if you really want to try to print at 0.1 mm layer height, your ratios must be at least 4.0.

For Slic3r, though, it should be doing this for you automatically assuming you have the nozzle diameter set correctly and it is properly calibrated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login