Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best stepper choice

Posted by danz 
Best stepper choice
April 26, 2013 05:57PM
I'm from NZ and currently working out what it will cost for me to build my first reprap. I've done quite a bit of research recently looking at different designs, and I keep coming back to the Mendel90 by nophead - in large part due to the stiffness/rigidity of the platform while still retaining good access to the machine.

Currently I'm looking into what motors to buy and I'm trying to get some clarity on 400 vs 200 step/rev motors. It seems that 0.9° steppers running with 1/8 microstepping make more sense than 1.8° motors running with 1/16 microstepping. I've run into a few posts on this but I'm not left with complete certainty that this is a good decision. At the end of the day, if the advantage of a 0.9° stepper is negligible, I'd still rather go that way if it's technically a superior design. It doesn't look like there will be much cost difference.

Can anyone explain whether there is any disadvantage at all to me buying 5 x 0.9° steppers for the Mendel90? The specific model I'm looking at right now is a 42BYGHM809 from Wantai (see Ali Express for example).

I'd appreciate any of those more experienced can give.

Dan
Re: Best stepper choice
April 27, 2013 01:43AM
Yes 0.9 steppers running at 1/8 will be more accurate than 1.8 running at 1/16. I can't think of any disadvantage. Not sure if the difference will be noticeable.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login