Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Improved results & Questions on fans/squashing/curling

Posted by nrocy 
Improved results & Questions on fans/squashing/curling
October 22, 2013 10:45PM
Just wanted to post an update. I've since updated to the newest settings, and run through the calibration again.

Overall I'm getting some awesome results, but have a few more questions smiling smiley

1) The extruder fan doesn't seem to run on its own, I'm assuming this is because there are no gcode commands to tell it to do so. Should I just manually enable it at the start of a print? Is there a downside to doing so? While printing the tube cap (pic 3), there was very obvious wobbling around the nut cavity. With the pyramid (pic 2) this was great until the small point at the top. Would running the fan have helped?

2) I printed a pretty large object (pic 4/5) today which ran perfectly until the last 20%, at which point I could see the head squashing into previous layers as it printed - what would cause that? It was perfect up until that point.

3) A couple of the prints lifted slightly in places (pic 6) from the bed during the print. This wasn't enough to ruin the print but caused some curling. What can I do to help avoid that? Increase the bed temperature somehow?

Thanks guys!
Attachments:
open | download - new_prints.jpg (152.1 KB)
Re: Improved results & Questions on fans/squashing/curling
October 23, 2013 03:08AM
1) Nopheads fork of Skeinforge has an improved Cool plugin which features fan control. You can select when the fan comes on. Slic3r has similar features built-in.

2) Not sure about this one. Poor bed adhesion?

3) I have found that keeping the heated bed clean really helps with this. Particularly for small parts.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
October 24, 2013 03:35AM
2) had this too, no idea why!

3) I use sugar-water on the bed, applied with a brush. it works perfectly and even the smalles objects and/or edges wont lift. give it a try.
October 24, 2013 07:06AM
For (3), and UK-based users, I can recommend Tesco Glass and Window Cleaner (yes, it contains vinegar).

This leaves the heated bed glass squeaky clean and prints, even small ones, stick really well until fully cooled after which they lift off easily. The print underside looks clean and glossy.

If you try this and it does not work then you can always use it for its intended purpose smiling smiley

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
October 25, 2013 02:58PM
Thanks guys. I've since been ensuring the bed is spotless, and enabled the fan during the print via Skeinforge - my prints are coming out really clean now grinning smiley

Much appreciated smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login