Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slicer error or print problem?

Posted by neuport 
Slicer error or print problem?
October 29, 2013 03:41PM
I occaisionally get ridges or grooves like in the first photo that occur at a specific layer height and are present on every surface of a part at that layer; i.e. inside surfaces, outside surfaces, all features at that level. It occurs exactly the same way in every copy of the part that I print so I believe it must be a slicing error.

Likewise, I often get a single raised line on flat surfaces as shown in the second photo. Again it is consistent with copies of the same part so that I believe it is a slicing error.

Suggestions on what may be causing these? I have attached the stl so you can see that the feature is not present in the model. The GCODE file is too large to attach.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_5572.jpg (214.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_5573.jpg (198.8 KB)
open | download - TH4XD.STL (54 KB)
Re: Slicer error or print problem?
October 29, 2013 06:47PM
I don't know what is causing the first problem. Which slicer are you using?

The second issue happens when the infill is laid down in two sections that meet. When it is being extruded in a zigzag it has a wall of filament at one side and space at the other. That means it tends to spread more towards the space. When it comes from the other direction it ends up with the last line having a smaller space to fit into.

You can alleviate it to some extend by reducing the infill flow rate slightly but then you get a more ribbed top surface. The slicer could detect the fact it was doing an infill line that was bounded on both sides and use a reduced flow rate for just that one but I have not heard of any doing that.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 29, 2013 07:24PM
I am using Skeinforge with essentially the default (Nophead) settings at .3mm layer height. I have reduced the fill density to 0.1. I have only noticed the first problem on parts that are over 10mm high but that is also where these parts start getting more complex with various pockets etc so I assumed the problem had to do with the slicing of the complex layers.
October 29, 2013 07:42PM
I see. Thanks for the explanation.

nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> The second issue happens when the infill is laid
> down in two sections that meet. When it is being
> extruded in a zigzag it has a wall of filament at
> one side and space at the other. That means it
> tends to spread more towards the space. When it
> comes from the other direction it ends up with the
> last line having a smaller space to fit into.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login