Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alternatives to ABS with J head

Posted by danlad1631 
Alternatives to ABS with J head
April 12, 2015 12:21PM
What are the alternatives to ABS, but still able to use the standard J head? Is there a filament that has the same strength as ABS but is easier to print with and not toxic? I'm seeing allot of new filaments coming out but I'm not sure if the J head will reach the temp required to print with them. What is the max working temp of the J head?

What filaments are Mendel90 users using with the standard J head that has the same strength or better?

I’ve been reading post on here about the E3d hot end, what are the pros and cons of this head and is it really worth changing over to it.

Thanks
Re: Alternatives to ABS with J head
April 12, 2015 01:54PM
PETG is said to combine the good properties of PLA and ABS.. I am no expert but I am printing PETG with the Mendel90 without problems. 240°C hotend and 90° for the bed are the temps I am using (not sure about the definite temps though, those are only the setting) as far as I know is the max Temp for the JHead 250°.

I´d recommend reading up on PETG and then decide for yourself, at the moment it is not as commonly available and usually more expensive than PLA or ABS... but I guess prices will drop.

Colorfabb XT is PETG if you need a starting point for your research

Here is a post about PET (and PETG later on) [forums.reprap.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2015 02:27PM by D4RK1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login