Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

windows 8.1 issue

Posted by 09zx-6r 
windows 8.1 issue
June 03, 2015 12:00AM
Has anyone had issues with there printer usb disconnecting randomly during prints? doesnt do it in windows 7, but in windows 8/8.1 it does. iv tried everything...except paying $349usd to microsoft to "try" and resolve the issue...

Nophead Mendel90 Remixed in aluminum
Marlin v2.0
Matterhacker Control (latest)
Ramps 1.4
Sainsmart LCD
MK2B heatbed
E3dV6 hotend .4mm tip
1.75mm filaments
dedicated 12v33a psu
dedicated 12v5a laptop psu mod
Re: windows 8.1 issue
June 03, 2015 05:25AM
This is a recurrent theme here. It can happen on Windows 7.

The usual recommendations are:
  1. Power the PC and printer from adjacent power outlets
  2. Use a short USB cable
  3. Print from SD card
  4. Install a Raspberry Pi running OctoPrint and communicate using WiFi
Solutions (1) and (2) can be considered standard operation. Solution (3) involves a little more effort but is reliable. Solution (4) involves additional cost and effort and tempts you to operate your printer unattended.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
Re: windows 8.1 issue
July 23, 2015 03:14AM
figured out my issue... its windows 8.1 thats the issue... it has a hidden power management override in the OS... even tho the power mgt option is accessable and able to be turned off, win8.1 will still over ride the setting to suit the need of pwr usage when on battery... it goes into active suspend and i lose connection... i found by having it plugged into the pwr cord, it never lost connection.

Nophead Mendel90 Remixed in aluminum
Marlin v2.0
Matterhacker Control (latest)
Ramps 1.4
Sainsmart LCD
MK2B heatbed
E3dV6 hotend .4mm tip
1.75mm filaments
dedicated 12v33a psu
dedicated 12v5a laptop psu mod
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login