Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noob at firmware setup

Posted by stilgarhammer 
Noob at firmware setup
August 08, 2015 11:13PM
Does anyone use a ramps 1.4 with Arduino Mega 2650 on the mendel90?
I am having much trouble configuring the firmware for my machine. I built my machine to Nophead plans in acrylic.I have been strugling with it for over a week and just now been able to get the lcd to work.
Lcd keeps telling me my temp sensors are defective, and its stuck on dry run.

If anyone would be kind enough to send me a copy of thier firmware, It would be much appreciated.

pic of my machine.

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Re: Noob at firmware setup
August 09, 2015 04:29AM
The version Neil maintains here should work: [github.com]. It is configured for Mendel90 and Melzi and a Panalolu2 display. All you need to change for RAMPS is the motherboard definition and put jumpers on the unused XMAZ, YMAX and ZMIN endstops.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 09, 2015 07:41AM
That's a nice looking printer! thumbs up
August 09, 2015 12:28PM
Thanks. I forgot to metion that I have been trying to use Repetier as my firmware. I will give Marlin a try.

August 09, 2015 02:34PM
After I added the jumpers for the max limit. I have the reprap discount full graphic smart controller (red board).
Where do I change to run the controller and get the fireware to compile?
I tried to upload the firmware and get this error.

In file included from ultralcd.cpp:38:
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:172: error: 'LiquidTWI2' does not name a type
/ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_init()':
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:316: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:316: error: 'LTI_TYPE_MCP23017' was not declared in this scope
/ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_clear()':
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:344: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope
/ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h: In function 'void lcd_printPGM(const char*)':
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:352: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope
/ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_status_screen()':
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:412: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope
/ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_drawmenu_generic(uint8_t, const char*, char, char)':
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:534: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope
/ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_drawmenu_setting_edit_generic(uint8_t, const char*, char, char*)':
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:556: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope
/ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_drawmenu_setting_edit_generic_P(uint8_t, const char*, char, const char*)':
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:578: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope
/ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_drawedit(const char*, char*)':
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:629: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope
/ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_drawmenu_sdfile_selected(uint8_t, const char*, const char*, char*)':
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:643: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope
/ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_drawmenu_sdfile(uint8_t, const char*, const char*, char*)':
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:663: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope
/ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_drawmenu_sddirectory_selected(uint8_t, const char*, const char*, char*)':
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:683: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope
/ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_drawmenu_sddirectory(uint8_t, const char*, const char*, char*)':
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:704: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope
/ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h: In function 'void lcd_implementation_update_indicators()':
ultralcd_implementation_hitachi_HD44780.h:774: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope
ultralcd.cpp: In function 'void lcd_buzz(long int, uint16_t)':
ultralcd.cpp:1487: error: 'lcd' was not declared in this scope

thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 02:34PM by stilgarhammer.

August 09, 2015 04:06PM
Hi,

Information relating to my fork of Marlin can be found in this thread.

There is the additional requirement that you must use Arduino-1.0.6 to build the firmware (newer versions result in compilation failures).

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
August 12, 2015 03:02PM
Well looks like I got the LCD to work, but the machine homes in the wrong direction and I dont think the end stops are reading.

August 15, 2015 02:40PM
Still haveing major problems, The axes do not home in the right direction, the endstops are not being read. and the extruder motor does not work, no matter what port it is connected to.

August 15, 2015 03:39PM
The firmware is known to work on RAMPS so presumably you have wiring faults.

The X & Y axes should move towards the endstop with negative moves and the Z axis with a positive move. If they move the opposite way reverse the motor plugs.

Test the endstops with M119. They should be normally closed switches wired between the signal pin and ground. They should say open when not triggered and TRIGGERED when you press the button. They only stop motion towards them when homing.

August 15, 2015 06:58PM
If the extruder motor doesn't work a common problem is the D type IDC connected fitted incorrectly.

August 15, 2015 07:51PM
I have tested all axes with a seprate motor contoller at the plug side that plugs into the ramps board. They all work, placing a test meter on all switchs at the ramps board and they work. I also tested the hotbed and hotend and works. after all testing of parts, it all came back to the ramps board. then I removed the ramps and tested the mega to see if all pins are working. they do. so I believe its all in the firmware. seetings are wrong. I have a friend looking into the firmware problem who has more experiace than me on programing the arduino.

August 16, 2015 05:09AM
If you are using mine or Neil's versions of Marlin they are correctly configured for Mendel90. You only need to change the motherboard definition from Melzi to RAMPS. I know it works because I have tried it myself and quite a few Mendel90 owners use RAMPS. The only issue is that RAMPS has six endstops, so you need to use the right three and disable the rest with jumpers, or set them to -1 in pins.h.

September 05, 2015 08:21AM
hi,

So I am a real Noob...
I have been looking at Gcode and almost getting my head around things, but thought I would what is going to be silly questions.

Using Duet/Duex Boards, and trying to set the Z Axis End stop to be the Min Position (Z=0)
but still not getting it right.

Below is the config I was trying to use.

M574 X2 Y2 Z1 S1 ; M574: Set endstop configuration
M208 X405 Y450 Z500 S0 ; set axis maxima and high homing switch positions (adjust to suit your machine)
M208 X0 Y0 Z0 S1 ; set axis minima and low homing switch positions (adjust to make X=0 and Y=0 the edges of the bed)

Can someone please advise what this should be set to....

thanks in advance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login