Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thermistor cement available in North America?

Posted by rdomunky 
Thermistor cement available in North America?
September 08, 2015 02:05PM
Hi all,

Following up from a previous thread in which I was having trouble with my hotend thermistor. I am pretty sure that some plastic got into the cement that was holding the thermistor in place, and caused or contributed to a partial short and bad readings. I have a couple replacement thermistors (EPCOS B57560G104F THERMISTOR, 100K, 1%, NTC, RAD) but have not yet found a working high temp cement. Nophead indicated that he uses Carplan Fire Putty, but it's not sold in the US. I tried Blue Magic QuikSteel Xtreme, but got bad readings from the new thermistor once it was cemented in -- I think the QuikSteel is probably partially conductive.

Can anyone recommend a known working product available in North America?

Thanks

- rdo
Re: Thermistor cement available in North America?
September 08, 2015 02:45PM
Hi,

How about this muffler/tailpipe sealant.

It looks OK temperature wise and is cheap.

Did you bake out the water content from the material you tried? If you don't do this then I would expect the water content to affect the readings.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
Re: Thermistor cement available in North America?
September 08, 2015 11:04PM
Thanks Neil, that looks promising. I'll order some and post my results.

BTW I did try baking the moisture out of the Blue Steel stuff, but it didn't seem to help. Now that I've poked around a bit with it I'm almost sure it's conductive when cured.

- rdo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login