Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Polypropylene sheet sourcing in the USA

Posted by unicoder 
Polypropylene sheet sourcing in the USA
January 25, 2014 03:20PM
Can anyone tell me where I can source the 0.5mm polypropylene sheets in the US? I have looked and looked online and can't find it sold in small quantities.
Re: Polypropylene sheet sourcing in the USA
January 25, 2014 06:23PM
I don't think it is available in small quantities. We buy large sheets sold for laser cutting and cut them up. PM me if you want to buy some from the UK.

I made my prototype machines from strips cut from an A4 binder. The long one was two stapled together.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 26, 2014 09:50AM
I ordered mine from [www.mcmaster.com]

If I recall the largest piece they had was 10" x 12".
It ends up being too short, but I just cut a few strips and spliced them with Kapton tape.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 09:52AM by Miterez1.
January 26, 2014 03:23PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Would this work?

[www.mcmaster.com]

Of course, I would have to splice some strips together, whether by stapling or kapton tape.
BTW, what is the purpose of the polypropylene sheets? Maybe it would be obvious to someone with more electronics know-how, but it's not at all obvious to me and I can't find any information about it in the wiki.
January 26, 2014 05:19PM
It's a bit thin as we use 0.5mm. It isn't much thinner but stiffness is at least a square law I think. Anything up to 0.8mm is OK.

The purpose is to enforce a minimum bend radius on the wire like cable chains do on larger machines. Without them the wire would just bend at ends and soon wear out.

January 26, 2014 10:10PM
nophead
The purpose is to enforce a minimum bend radius on the wire like cable chains do on larger machines. Without them the wire would just bend at ends and soon wear out.

With using the strips in the current configuration do you have any estimate how long the wires will last before failure? I'm guessing it will be a LOOOONG time.
January 27, 2014 05:42AM
I don't know. Certainly more than a year of continuous use. There must be some formula to use on big CNC machines, etc, but I have not found one.

January 27, 2014 11:02AM
nophead
I made my prototype machines from strips cut from an A4 binder. The long one was two stapled together.

Can you elaborate on this? Which part of an A4 binder is made from polypropylene?
January 27, 2014 11:45AM
My wife got some that were all one piece of translucent PP but obviously some are cardboard with vinyl covers, and many other constructions as well. I recognised it as PP because it had a living hinge. Most things that have to flex many times along a crease line are made from PP as most other materials will soon fatigue fracture. That is why I chose it.

January 27, 2014 03:55PM
When I was looking for something suitable, I found the thin sheets used as cutting mats perfect, they bend pretty easily but keep a decent radius while also supporting the ribbon. Should be able to find one pretty cheap at most stores that sell housewares.
January 27, 2014 07:36PM
cdru
When I was looking for something suitable, I found the thin sheets used as cutting mats perfect, they bend pretty easily but keep a decent radius while also supporting the ribbon. Should be able to find one pretty cheap at most stores that sell housewares.

Now that seems like a great idea. They come in pretty large sizes too, so there would be no need to splice two pieces together. Nophead, what do you think? Do you endorse this idea?
January 28, 2014 01:06AM
I think I just found another good alternative. I took a look at the bottom of a large tub of Smart Balance (margarine) and next to the recycle symbol it has a PP. I assume that stands for polypropylene? I cut it apart and found that I could get strips up to around 420 mm around the circumference. It's quite flexible and the thickness is around 0.54 mm. Too bad it's still not long enough for using MDF12. I need 477 mm. I'm wracking my brain now to try to come up with a food product or other product that comes in plastic contains with a larger diameter. I might have to look over some bulk-size containers next time I'm at the supermarket winking smiley
January 28, 2014 08:48AM
unicoder
I think I just found another good alternative. I took a look at the bottom of a large tub of Smart Balance (margarine) and next to the recycle symbol it has a PP. I assume that stands for polypropylene? I cut it apart and found that I could get strips up to around 420 mm around the circumference. It's quite flexible and the thickness is around 0.54 mm. Too bad it's still not long enough for using MDF12. I need 477 mm. I'm wracking my brain now to try to come up with a food product or other product that comes in plastic contains with a larger diameter. I might have to look over some bulk-size containers next time I'm at the supermarket winking smiley
It doesn't HAVE to be polypropylene. Anything that's flexible but still maintains a decent bend radius will work. Other things that I've thought of is the metal or plastic strapping that is used to hold large boxes together, items to pallets, or stacks of lumber. Any lumber yard likely has ample amounts of scrap that they would just give you.
January 29, 2014 11:17AM
Thank you all for the great advice. I think I'm all set for my minimum bend radius enforcing material now.
April 03, 2014 08:05AM
I have brought Plastic sheets for my industrial purpose in Redwood Plastics which is available in USA and Canada.
You can try their itself and contact no:1 866 733 2684.It will be helpful for you.If you need more details check into their website.

But For what you are asking Polypropylene sheet?
April 03, 2014 08:51AM
Hey guys,

I used old X-ray sheets to support my ribbon cable (I doubled up, with two strips taped together)
April 03, 2014 04:04PM
The polypropylene sheets seem like something you should be able to get at an art and craft store here state side. Maybe at a Michaels or AC Moore. The type of plastic matters less than it flexing with the ribbon cable without sagging.
April 04, 2014 10:10PM
I 'sourced' mine from a some file folders that we had in the office supply closet. They were similiar to these: [www.staples.com]
January 26, 2016 12:45AM
Sorry to bring up an old thread. My friend told me he found polypropylene sheet big enough using place mats at Walmart (US) the brand is Mainstays Place Mat, they have a thick enough 0.5mm sheet that's perfect and you cut it at an angle to get 45cm out of it. This might be useful for anyone trying to source parts. My alternative is literally printing 0.5 thin strips of ABS with my other printer and glueing them together.
January 26, 2016 06:46PM
Hi All:

I built a Mendel 90 a few years ago, all self sourced. It is a great design, many thanks Nophead!

For these strips, I went out to the loading dock and found some plastic strapping used to bind loads to pallets. It is thicker and wider than the usual ones, and is a textured green colored plastic. It seemed to be heat fused to seal, rather than the usual crimp. It works wonderfully, and I found some really long pieces. I would suggest wandering around the shipping department and looking in the trash bin...

john
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login