Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems with rendering Mendel90

Posted by rafaelloaa 
Problems with rendering Mendel90
January 15, 2013 08:28PM
Hi Nophead, hi everyone! First off, thank you so much for all your hard work!

I'm about to build a Mendel90 (my first printer), but today I ran into a snag. I was able to run "make_machine.py mendel" (side note, It took me quite some time to figure out how to do it, and I can't seem to run that command again, when I try, it ignores that I typed mendel, and gives me the command parameters again, as shown here: [puu.sh]).

Anyway, I ran main.scad, but after it was at 27% for a few minutes, it crashed with this message: [puu.sh] (yes I checked I have the correct runtime libraries). Before it crashed, I was able to copy the openscad console ( [pastebin.com]), however it seemed to be fine up until the last ~10 lines. It seemed to have finished everything, but then it broke somehow.

I'm running Win7 Pro, OpenSCAD 13.01.08, Python 2.7.3, the latest version of Inkscape, and I downloaded your files today. I also had a friend with a similar setup try it, and his crashed at the same spot. Thank you again for your time. I am building a mendel90 as somewhat of a "senior project" (I'm 17 and homeschooled). Take care!
Re: Problems with rendering Mendel90
January 16, 2013 07:07AM
I can't explain the first problem. It only gives the usage message if you don't give it any parameters, but I can see you gave it mendel, so it doesn't make sense. Also, if it worked once it should work again. It doesn't modify itself.

The second problem looks like you pressed F6. That tries to make one solid from the whole machine and goes away for ages and crashes. You should press F5 to render the assembly views. It will take about 10 minutes for the whole machine.

F6 is used for making STL files of the printed parts but you have to be viewing just the printed parts you want, not an assembly with all the vitamins in it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 16, 2013 09:13AM
To work out what's wrong with make-machine.py, get the error message to print out the value of the variable it's looking at to determine what machine you want. It could be "" (blank) or it could be something mangled. That might help work out what's going wrong. But, as nop head says, that is very weird.

Gerv
January 16, 2013 09:30AM
How would I go about doing that? Sorry, I'm quite new to programming sad smiley
Also nophead, thanks for the tip. It's working fine this time. (I remembered to make a backup), but I'm still going to try to figure out what happened so I can't run the command again.

Thanks!
January 16, 2013 02:42PM
make_machine.py is just this:
#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
from bom import boms
from sheets import sheets
from stls import stls
from plates import plates

def make_machine(machine):
    boms(machine)
    sheets(machine)
    stls(machine)
    plates(machine)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    if len(sys.argv) > 1:
        make_machine(sys.argv[1])
    else:
        print "usage: make_machine [mendel|sturdy|your_machine]"
        sys.exit(1)

Add print sys.argv after the print "usage"

I would say either Python is broken or the Windows shell is broken on you machine.

January 16, 2013 05:12PM
I think I did what you asked (not entirely sure, as I've never done any programming before).

I changed:

if len(sys.argv) > 1:
else:
sys.exit(1)

to:

if len(sys.argv) > 1:
else:
print sys.argv
sys.exit(1)

and got: [puu.sh]

Was that the correct thing to do?

Thanks again (this isn't as big of an issue since I now have the model I can use, but I just want to fix any problems my computer might be having regarding running RepRap software).
January 16, 2013 05:46PM
I think perhaps your file associaltion for .py isn't passing the command line parameters.

Try:
python make_machine.py mendel

as a workround.

The file association should have something this as the action: "C:\Python27\python.exe" "%1" %*

I think yours must be missing the %* at the end.

January 16, 2013 07:10PM
Ahh thank you python make_machine.py mendel does the trick!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login