Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to attach paper to MFD?

Posted by conscripted 
How to attach paper to MFD?
March 28, 2013 04:11PM
I'm in the process of building a Mendel90 from MDF. I'm at the point where I need to cut out my frame. Is there a recommened way to attach the paper to the frame in a way that I can cut shapes I need and still be able to get it off again after drilling the holes?

Thanks
Conscripted
Re: How to attach paper to MFD?
March 28, 2013 06:29PM
I just use masking tape but I think spray mount will work well. It will leave a sticky residue though.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 28, 2013 07:12PM
Yes, I used a small amount of spray mount adhesive on the paper and left it to dry a little until it just had a slight tackiness left. That way it leaves no residue on the board.

[mynext3dprinter.tumblr.com]
March 29, 2013 04:55AM
I've also built an MDF Mendel 90 - welcome to the club :-)

By accident (the printer misunderstood me) I printed the entire base template on sticky-back vinyl. This would have been very good, I think, if I hadn't left it on for 3 days before attempting to remove it again! That led to a lot of work with various glue removal tools, which didn't do much for the painted finish.

Gerv
March 29, 2013 06:58AM
I must point out, I don't drill through the paper, so it doesn't need much holding down, just a few bits of masking tape to stop it sliding.

I prick the cross hairs with a sharp point and then I remove the paper and use an automatic centre punch to make the pin pricks into bigger cones.

For super precision from paper templates I use an optical centre punch followed by a spot drill.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 29, 2013 10:39AM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I must point out, I don't drill through the paper,
> so it doesn't need much holding down, just a few
> bits of masking tape to stop it sliding.
>
Thanks for bringing that up. I would have drilled right through the paper.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login