Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Has anyone tried herringbone Wade's gear on Mendel90?

Posted by marcosscriven 
Has anyone tried herringbone Wade's gear on Mendel90?
May 14, 2013 12:54PM
Just wondering if anyone had done this, and whether the reduced backlash made a real difference in print quality?

Also, if so, is there an STL file I could download?
Re: Has anyone tried herringbone Wade's gear on Mendel90?
May 14, 2013 01:57PM
There is one here: [www.thingiverse.com] but I doubt it affects print quality. The plastic gives a back pressure which prevents backlash being an issue.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 15, 2013 04:42AM
I notice that the author of that gear printed his out using PLA. Has anybody observed the actual differences between using PLA vs ABS for gears?
May 15, 2013 05:42AM
For gears PLA works better (unless they are turning so fast that the heat generated is too much for PLA).

For extruder gears PLA is better (they last a little longer) but I don't know if it is that big a deal since you should always have a couple of spares lying around...

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
May 15, 2013 06:34AM
Hi Bob,
How long do your PLA extruder gears last?

I find ABS ones last for about 6 months 24/7 use as long as they are lubricated. They only last days if not.

PLA gears can go soft from the heat of the motor and the hobbed bolt. Probably OK when the machine is in the open but definitely not when enclosed in a box.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 15, 2013 07:00AM
Mine is not enclosed and I only print PLA so less heat rising from the heated bed @ 62°C.
Sometimes I go days w/o printing anything, sometimes I am printing 24/7 from Friday night til Monday morning.
I have been printing for almost 3 years now and have only had to replace one small extruder gear where a tooth broke off.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login