Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Broken X idler - axis not level

Posted by richgain 
Broken X idler - axis not level
July 09, 2013 07:28PM
Hi Chris, I'm having some problems with my Mendel90 and I wonder if you can help.
I recently switched to GT2 belts and pulleys and so had to reprint the X carriage and the other belt-supporting parts. I got everything going OK until I noticed a large crack in the X idler bracket (still the original one) in the plastic supporting the X idler bolt. The printer was still working well, so I quickly printed myself a new X idler from the latest file set and this evening I tried to fit it. Unfortunately, the rear rod clamp on the X idler cracked as I was tightening it but at least it does still seem to be holding the rod firmly.

The problem started when I tried to level the X axis. I tried adjusting the two Z screws to get the X axis level with the bed but then discovered that the X motor end was floating 3-4 mm above the hex nut. It oscillates up and down as I push down the X motor end, so I can't get it level at all. Even when I slacken off the X belt completely the motor end of the X axis is still displaced upwards, with all the weight being taken by the Z nut on the idler end.

Has there been a change in the position of the Z lead nut trap in the latest version? Or, could the crack in the X bar clamp be responsible?
I wondered if you had any thoughts about the cause of this problem. I may be able to get the Huxley working again to print another X idler but, before I do, I need to decide which version of the X idler I should print.

Thanks
Richard

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2013 07:31PM by richgain.
Re: Broken X idler - axis not level
July 09, 2013 08:41PM
Hi Richard,
No I don't think there have ever been any changes to the nut trap depth. Even if there was it wouldn't matter, you would simply have to turn the motor until the nut engaged.

If the motor end is too high, even when it isn't supported by the nut then is seems like your replacement idler bracket is crooked so it doesn't form a right angle with the Z rod. Or the Z rod is leaning.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: Broken X idler - axis not level
July 19, 2013 04:17AM
Thanks Chris

Absolutely right.
The X and Z certainly weren't at 90 degrees to each other.

I hadn't released quite how warped the base of my attempt at a reprinted X idler bracket was.

I spent some time tuning up and resurrecting the eMaker Huxley and used that to print another idler bracket. The Mendel90 should be up and running again soon.

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login