Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Spool holder extension

Posted by GerdH 
Spool holder extension
August 18, 2013 01:51PM
Hello,

in the enclosed files you will find a spool holder extension for the original spool holder, which comes with the kit from Nophead.

It can be adapted to smaller spool diameters. It fits to spools with 70mm width. For larger width some washers or addional nuts can be added when mounting the extensions to the original spool holder.

The extension is 25cm long. So the design is rotated by 40 degress to fit diagonally to the print bed (check for not hitting the bulldog clips!)

Cheers, Gerd
Attachments:
open | download - Spoolholder.JPG (145.4 KB)
open | download - Spulenhalter.scad (1.3 KB)
Re: Spool holder extension
August 19, 2013 09:32AM
That's a nice simple idea :-)

Unfortunately OpenSCAD complains at me saying syntax error on line 1.
August 19, 2013 09:52AM
Hello Probonic,

I tested the script and it was compiled and rendered (F6) without problems with OpenSCAD version 2013.06 on Windows7.

Attached you will find the STL export.
Attachments:
open | download - Spulenhalter.stl (113.7 KB)
August 19, 2013 10:13AM
Interesting - I have version 2013.06 running in Linux. I had to change:

rotate(a = 50, v = [0, 0, 1]) {difference() {basis(); bohrung1(); bohrung2(); bohrung3(); bohrung4(); bohrung5(); bohrung6(); translate([12,0,0]) bohrung6(); translate([24,0,0]) bohrung6(); translate([36,0,0]) bohrung6(); translate([48,0,0]) bohrung6(); bohrung7(); bohrung8();};};

to

rotate(a = 50, v = [0, 0, 1]) {difference() {basis(); bohrung1(); bohrung2(); bohrung3(); bohrung4(); bohrung5(); bohrung6(); translate([12,0,0]) bohrung6(); translate([24,0,0]) bohrung6(); translate([36,0,0]) bohrung6(); translate([48,0,0]) bohrung6(); bohrung7(); bohrung8();}};

taking out the semicolon after the penultimate closing brace.
August 27, 2013 04:54AM
this is the idea I was lloking for!!!
simple and brilliant!
I printed a ton of spool holders and never found anyting I really liked. I think this is it!!!!

Thanks!
A.
September 01, 2013 07:24PM
Thanks for a great idea!
At last I can deal with 1kg and 1lb spools easily.
I slightly modified the stl to make the slicing cleaner and added an extra notch to deal with smaller diameter spools. I made some simple spacers too for different width spools.
Attachments:
open | download - M90spoolholderNew1Rotated.stl (37.5 KB)
open | download - M90SpoolHolder.jpg (91.3 KB)
open | download - M90SpoolHolderSpacer.stl (23.5 KB)
September 10, 2013 10:53AM
Thanks this is great. After all those months my spool is finally in its correct position.
Unfortunately the spool I have now is a bit narrow and wont sit on the bearings but its working, so it ok for now. I will have to use a longer screw for to hold the bearing closer together.
Attachments:
open | download - spoolholder.jpg (227.9 KB)
September 30, 2013 05:34PM
threedyprinter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I slightly modified the stl to make the slicing
> cleaner and added ...

Indeed slicing is cleaner, but why?
September 30, 2013 08:36PM
> Indeed slicing is cleaner, but why?

I just tidied up some vertices/faces which were slightly out of whack in the original stl. They caused several jagged edges/faces which gave the slicer a hard time.
October 01, 2013 05:39PM
When I open M90spoolholderNew1Rotated.stl in FreeCAD or Netfabb Studio Basic the three holes just show up
as lines and not as holes.

What did I do wrong?

Is this a coincident faces problem, i.e. the holes in OpenSCAD should go all the way through and a bit beyond.
Least it looks that way when I load the original file in OpenSCAD

I loaded the original scad file in FreeCAD and the holes are there

Thanks
October 02, 2013 12:26PM
> Is this a coincident faces problem, i.e. the holes in OpenSCAD should go all the way through and a bit beyond.

Yes, that's probably something to do with it. You didn't do anything wrong!

I just fixed things up in Blender such that it would be easy for Cura to slice. I'm very cavalier about closed/open surfaces and direction of normals etc. as Cura doesn't care much about such things. I don't have Blender up at the moment but I think it also shows the holes as solid in shaded view.
October 02, 2013 05:05PM
Well if I load the original SCAD file in OpenSCAD and create an STL file it has holes.
If I load the file in FreeCAD and export an STL it has holes.

Not sure why Blender should cover the holes. I guess if it slices okay it does not matter.
Wonder what happens if somebody tries a different slicer than Cura.

I am still building my Mendel90 and thought the modified spool holder would be a good thing to have,
so downloaded the files. Just was a bit concerned about the holes when I could not see through them.
October 02, 2013 08:25PM
> Not sure why Blender should cover the holes.
I just had a look in Blender. I think I cheated when I created the faces and just created top and bottom faces bounded by the outer perimeters - intentionally ignoring the holes. Very quick in Blender and yields fewer, cleaner facets when exported to stl.

> I guess if it slices okay it does not matter.
Yes, it works because the vertices of the holes are precisely aligned with the plane of the top and bottom faces. I think (very simplistically) Cura's (and possibly other slicer's) algorithm looks at a closed volume (or set of volumes) from the outside and works it's way to the centre. The first perimeter says start laying plastic, the next perimeter say stop laying plastic and so on.
It doesn't seem to matter whether the cylinders defining the internal perimeters (holes) are connected to the top and bottom or not.

(Incidentally, Cura seems a lot more tolerant of "weird and non-manifold" stls than say Slic3r which seems to crash with some of my more ambitious models.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login