Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel90 extruder wiring connector variant offering...(functional mock-up)

Posted by NumberSix 
Mendel90 extruder wiring connector variant offering...(functional mock-up)
September 05, 2013 07:30PM
Hi all,
(first post to this section!)

First and foremost I must thank Chris (Nophead) for sharing his fantastic design, documentation and stl files. The consideration that has gone into every aspect of his printers design is very evident, as I've recently printed and assembled the sub-components, and closely studied the documentation, and his many many posted answers to questions. Thank you Chris!

I'm a big fan of the Mendel90, and I finally started building one recently. I'm scratch building it, so it has meant that I've examined some of the design elements and considered alternative solutions or variants on the kit solution as I've gone along. My variant on the "extruder assembly wiring connector" utilises a board mounted 16 pin ribbon cable socket as the basis for the connection. What I present is a functioning prototype. I don't plan to take the design much further, but others with PCB design and etching might wish to extrapolate from the idea.

I expand a bit more in my blog post. No point in repeating the entire post here.

Comments welcome.
Thanks and regards,
NumberSix

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
Re: Mendel90 extruder wiring connector variant offering...(functional mock-up)
April 28, 2015 04:48AM
Blog post link here:
Blog Link in original post above only points to photo but I can't edit it at this stage.

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
Re: Mendel90 extruder wiring connector variant offering...(functional mock-up)
April 28, 2015 09:35AM
I've done something similar. With a servo, z-probe, LED lights, plus a hot end fan the ribbon cable just didn't have enough wires with the stock design. So I doubled up the ribbon cables and used two IDC connectors similar to yours. Plenty of wires now and spares if I never need something more.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login