Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

x idler bracket clamp splitting sad smiley

Posted by QuackingPlums 
x idler bracket clamp splitting sad smiley
September 08, 2013 05:40PM
Just noticed that the front clamp on my x idler bracket has a split part way across it. I think I read somewhere that there's a new design for this part in the works. If this is the case, can anybody give me an indication of how long I have before this whole thing fails so that I can decide whether to wait for the new design or bite the bullet and print myself a new one now?
Re: x idler bracket clamp splitting sad smiley
September 09, 2013 04:38AM
As the bracket is already split I think printing a replacement now would be your best solution. Being prepared for an imminent breakage would be wise.

I am waiting in the Kit queue which, I believe, is currently on-hold until nophead resolves these issues. Once I have printed the obligatory Android I think I will trun my attention to printing replacements for critical parts like the X-idler etc.
September 10, 2013 11:51AM
My X idler bracket (and motor bracket) split a while back. I printed and fitted new ones (before nophead kindly sent replacements).

A week later the idler bracket split again. Not all the way through though. It's been like that for a month at least and doesn't appear to be getting worse so I reckon you could afford to wait for a new design.

I think there's a new design for the X motor end as well now?

I was very tempted to print the idler / motor ends in nylon. I didn't, because I thought nylon would flex too much but I now think the brackets are thick enough to be stable and the clamps would be much tougher.
September 10, 2013 03:40PM
I'm considering "painting" over the split with some thick ABS slurry at something like 6:1 or 4:1 dilution (aka "ABS cement") to reinforce the surface as an interim measure. Any opinions on whether that's a good idea?
September 10, 2013 07:22PM
Neat acetone welds ABS parts together very well providing the gap is small. For larger splits/gaps I have used Wilko Hard Plastic glue very successfully; it's quite viscous so you can smerge it around to fill gaps well. Glues PLA too.
September 11, 2013 06:46AM
Here is a clamp you can add to the front bar to stop the idler bracket slipping: -

You will need m3 x 20mm screws, nylocs and washers though. The new X ends have the equivalent of a pair of these each side so use 16 extra screws.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Attachments:
open | download - x_idler_clamp.stl (200.3 KB)
open | download - x_idler_clamp.png (17.5 KB)
September 11, 2013 05:07PM
Hi Chris,
The bar clamps on the x-ends has been a weakness in many x-end designs. One of my clamps cracked also despite being so careful while tightening (my own printing). Your indication of a change to a clamp style design, where I presume the clamping tab is printed so it's layers are in compression instead of shear, will be a good improvement. I think the benefit may out weigh the additional screws needed. Have you published the new x-end designs yet?

The clamp (above) is a good interim solution.
Tks,
Ivor

[numbersixreprap.blogspot.com]
September 12, 2013 05:00PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The new X ends have the equivalent of a
> pair of these each side so use 16 extra screws.
Ah, sounds good. Can we have a look or even the *.scad? Thanks.
I'm in the progress of designing better X Ends with 4 screws on each bar-clamp, but my *.scad is a mess right now :/
September 12, 2013 05:29PM
Well I successfully printed some, despite the adhesion problems I'm having right now. I used Slic3r though, which meant all the holes are slightly off and I needed a vice to press the nuts into place. If I'd had the scad then I could have applied the "usual" tolerances to make things snug I guess. Sorry Chris, I *will* get round to fathoming out SF but right now I want to get on with making stuff rather than struggling with a tool that is shockingly user unfriendly... sad smiley

Anyway, I don't know if it's related to the inaccuracies of Slic3r, but the two halves don't mate together. I've done them up as tight as I dare given that they're still plastic, but there's still a generous millimetre or so gap. Is this right?

Attachments:
open | download - Photo 12-09-2013 22 22 49.jpg (79.5 KB)
September 12, 2013 06:38PM
The design has a 1mm gap but I can close it when printed in ABS. It creates some stress lines and deforms. You probably can't do that with PLA.

I have attached the scad file but it is not stand alone. I will update github with new X ends as soon as I can, hopefully tomorrow.

Attachments:
open | download - x_idler_clamp.scad (2.5 KB)
September 13, 2013 04:04AM
Thanks Chris. I've dropped it into my Mendel90 scad folder and it's picking up the right config/dependencies so I might tweak it just a little to compensate for the inaccuracies of Slic3r. One thing I noticed - was it deliberate to leave a membrane between the nut trap and the screw hole behind it? It is only a single layer thick and wasn't hard to push through with a small drill bit but I notice that it appears in the SCAD as well.
EDIT: Sorry, I just spotted the 1-layer thick "support_bridge" line in the SCAD so I guess it's deliberate!

I haven't tried torquing it down yet but the item in the photo is black ABS so it should stand up to it - at least any stress marks should be easily visible. I printed two pairs in any case so I have spares.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 04:08AM by QuackingPlums.
September 13, 2013 08:28AM
Yes you can print a hole in mid air where the hexagon turns into a smaller cylinder as the outline of the cylinder would just fall down. All the flying holes have support membranes which I drill out with a 3.3mm drill.

I am also experimenting with break away support for those but the best I have managed needs a 3.3mm punch to remove them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login