Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Proper Amount To Twist Stepper Motor Wires

Posted by Garry Bartsch 
Proper Amount To Twist Stepper Motor Wires
September 25, 2013 06:25PM
I've searched for the proper amount to twist stepper motor wires but haven't found a definitive answer. So I went ahead and twisted two wires together this much. Is this enough or should I twist them more? Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2013 06:26PM by Garry Bartsch.
Attachments:
open | download - twistedwire.jpg (206.2 KB)
Re: Proper Amount To Twist Stepper Motor Wires
September 27, 2013 07:07AM
It looks fine to me. I don't think there is anything critical about it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 28, 2013 04:31PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think there is
> anything critical about it.

Thank you Chris. I didn't check "Follow Topic" so didn't receive your response - sorry. Before I found your response here I twisted them a bit more but since you comment there isn’t anything critical about it I will assume all is fine with the amount I settled on.

One other thing I noticed that hopefully fits into the "nothing to critical" category is I found it difficult to twist any two pairs or wire so that the tightness is uniform over the entire length.
September 28, 2013 07:05PM
When I twist them with a drill they are pretty uniform. However it won't make much difference if they aren't.

The theory is a loop of wire will transmit electromagnetic noise proportional to its area, When two wires run parallel the enclosed area is small but still finite. When they are twisted each half turn emits an opposite signal to the next so when taken from a certain distance they cancel out. My guess would be with tighter twists you can get closer to the wire before you start to lose the cancelling effect by being closer to one half turn than the surrounding ones.

Since EMC regs measure at ~3m IIRC then I think it won't make much difference how big the twists are as long as they are small compared to 3m. You would only notice perhaps with a close field probe.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 28, 2013 08:41PM
Great information. Thank you Chris.

When I say they are not entirely uniform I mean they are not 'perfect'. Maybe I was expecting too much precision was required. After reading your explanation I'm sure all is fine with what I have done here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login