Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One of my motors feels different

Posted by neildarlow 
One of my motors feels different
October 01, 2013 11:56AM
Hi,

I have just completed the heated bed installation and, comparing the movement of the y-axis motor with the z-axis motors, it feels stiffer and makes a louder noise when manually rotated.

I saw a note somewhere that motors may be supplied with two shafts but is it the case that the stiffer motor is a higher torque model than the other two or do I have a faulty unit?

Regards,
Neil Darlow
Re: One of my motors feels different
October 01, 2013 02:57PM
All the motors are the same spec, even the two shaft ones.

How stiff they feel depends on what the wires are connected to. If they are open circuit they are easier to turn. If the wires are shorted they are hard to turn. When wired to the Melzi they are somewhere in between.

Z will feel different because they are wired in series.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 01, 2013 03:18PM
Hi Chris,

I understand that logic but, as yet, none of the motors have been connected at the far-end.

No doubt I will find out if there is something wrong during the commissioning stage of the build. I just hope that the motor manufacturer gives these units a basic functional test.

Regards,
Neil Darlow
October 01, 2013 05:39PM
If they are not connected are you sure the wires are not touching each other? The ends are stripped so they easily short.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 02, 2013 09:19AM
Hi,

Just sharing a quick observation I made after reading the last comment from nophead. I'm in the building stage of the printer and have just installed the bed. No wires are connected to the Melzi. So I've let the stripped ends of the wires touch each other and the motor was indeed way more heavy to manually rotate then when not shorted. So definitely worth checking.
October 03, 2013 02:53AM
Good catch!

Daft me just happened to twist the ends together during routing of the wires. Coincidentally, I trimmed the bare ends off the other motors before routing their wires.

Another mystery solved... well done Nophead and Nilez >grinning smiley<

Regards,
Neil Darlow
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login