Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which oil for the Z lead screws?

Posted by Nilez 
Which oil for the Z lead screws?
October 08, 2013 07:03AM
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could tell which oil is best to use for the Z lead screws?
Re: Which oil for the Z lead screws?
October 08, 2013 07:29AM
I have a bunch of precision lubricators for RC bearings that were just handy when I was building my M90 and it seems to be fine with that.

I don't know what would be "better" about alternative oil - maybe a silicone based one would cause less discolouration of the z-axis markers as it makes its way down the threads...?
October 08, 2013 08:08AM
WD40 should probably be standing on the shelf over here but I thought I'd read somewhere that it collects too much dirt and dust?
October 08, 2013 08:43AM
I use car engine oil. Be sure to oil under the X ends and drive them down to it and don't use too much. If you put it above the X ends and drive it up it can spread into the plastic parts and discolour them.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 08, 2013 10:11AM
Ok I don't have bearing oil but I do have engine oil so I'll go for that. Do you apply the engine oil with a brush?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2013 10:13AM by Nilez.
October 08, 2013 12:21PM
No I apply it with a tiny bottle which has a nozzle on it. I don't know what its intended use was, I got it from my mother so perhaps it was for sowing machine oil or perhaps gluing dolls house furniture.

I just put a single drop on each lead screw, run it up and down and then perhaps repeat until the screw looks covered.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 08, 2013 12:30PM
Great, thank you. I think I have one of those bottles.
October 08, 2013 04:41PM
I have 3-IN-ONEĀ® Multi-Purpose Oil (Link) and Jig-A-Loo (Link). Would the 3-In-ONE be OK? I would like to use the Jig-A-Loo because it dries and will not attract dust. It's is VERY slick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login