Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Home point

Posted by Nilez 
Z Home point
October 13, 2013 06:17PM
Hi,

I don't quite understand the practice to obtain an accurate z_home_pos. In the manual it says to "nudge" down the z axes to an object of known height. Should this be done by turning the lead screws again is with the bed levelling procedure? And again in all four corners, or (only one) particular place on the bed?
Re: Z Home point
October 13, 2013 06:30PM
Put the y and x axis in the middle of the bed and use pronterface to nudge down the z. Don't adjust the screws manually again after you have leveled the bed as this will make you bed unlevel again.
October 13, 2013 06:55PM
Yeah I was constantly thinking about the bed not being level then, and remained confused about this. So it can be done automatically with pronterface then? But how do you precisely land on the object with pronterface? for example on a piece of smooth rod like Chris mentioned?
October 13, 2013 07:01PM
I am not sure I understand fully, but you just click on the lower Z button in pronterface to lower the extruder. If you need to move the y or x to line it up you can move those in pronterface as well.
October 13, 2013 07:15PM
Thanks RM. I understand how to move in the xyz directions but then you are bound by the smallest increments of 0,1 right? So what if you need to adjust it just a little more (say 0,05) to just touch the object. Or am I aiming for useless precision here?
October 13, 2013 08:50PM
0.1mm is close enough to start with because there is a second stage to the levelling where you measure the height of the skirt. This is because the extruder expands about 0.2mm when it is heated and also because it is then as accurate as your callipers.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 14, 2013 06:33AM
Ok I see. Thanks guys
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login