Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fan clip nut socket on the x-carriage deformed

Posted by Nilez 
Fan clip nut socket on the x-carriage deformed
October 18, 2013 01:01PM
Hi,

Because I've been playing around with calibration of the printer I had to screw and unscrew the fan assembly a couple of times. Now one of the nyloc nuts is spinning in it's socket so it can't be tightened any more. I must have screwed it too tight at some point during the process. Can I cement the nut into it's socket somehow to make it stay put? I've already tried super glue, but that won't make it stick sad smiley
Re: Fan clip nut socket on the x-carriage deformed
October 18, 2013 02:17PM
I guess that you could try an epoxy resin but make sure that you don't get any on the threads of the nyloc. It is always very tricky using epoxy in these situations as no matter what you do, some of it always seems to end up where you don't want it so if you try this technique, use as little as possible. I suggest you put a long screw in the nylon before you start and maybe put a little oil or grease on it in order to avoid getting this stuck.

Guess you have learned the lesson but too loose is often better than too tight - no need to use your full strength when tightening up anything! smiling smiley

Alan
October 21, 2013 09:25AM
same problem here, I was again leveling my bed, looking to not applay to much NM to the fan screw but alas, no luck. The nut turns with the screw sad smiley
now I have to disassemble the whole carriage again. aaaaargh
October 21, 2013 11:18AM
fixed. 5min epoxy works just fine.
October 21, 2013 11:23AM
I think the issue is once the screw has engaged the nut you need to pull it forward to ensure the nut is fully seated in the trap before tightening it.

The first time a nyloc is used it needs much more force so if the nut trap holds for that it should continue to work for multiple times as the nyloc gets looser each time it is used. I have taken my fan on an off at least half a dozen times.

Perhaps it needs a little cover that is somehow fastened in place to make the nuts fully captive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2013 11:24AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
October 21, 2013 12:33PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the issue is once the screw has engaged
> the nut you need to pull it forward to ensure the
> nut is fully seated in the trap before tightening
> it.

Yes. I assembled mine by tightening the screws enough to just permit fitting of the fan bracket (with finger pressure from behind to keep the nuts in the trap).

Whenever the fan casing is removed I only undo the screws sufficiently to remove it. This has worked for me three or four times without any problem of the nuts turning in the traps.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
October 21, 2013 02:50PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll try some epoxy then. I've removed the x-carriage from the rods so I can make a clean fix.
October 22, 2013 07:05AM
by the way: should the smooth rods be oiled/greased ?
October 22, 2013 07:27AM
The linear bearings come with oil in them so they run OK to start with. The X bars tend to dry out so I put a few drops of car engine on those very occasionally. I tried grease but over time that gums up the axis and it seizes.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login