Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which temperature and how to adjust it?

Posted by Nilez 
Which temperature and how to adjust it?
November 01, 2013 11:34AM
Hi,

I have a spool of black PLA from Plastic2print. It says it needs temperatures between 190 and 220 on the package. I've followed the advice from Chris in the manual to kind of feel at which temperature one is able to manually extrude the filament by turning the large gear. It appears that I need it to be 210. Of course this isn't very precise so I was wondering how much room there is around this value to experiment with, without running the risk of clogging the hotend? My second question is about the settings. Do you have to set the value for the temperature in the firmware or in the slicer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2013 11:45AM by Nilez.
Re: Which temperature and how to adjust it?
November 01, 2013 12:14PM
You set the temperature in start_PLA.gcode in the alterations folder of your skeinforge settings.

I don't think there is any risk of clogging due to low temperature since the addition of the red tape on the hot end.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 01, 2013 12:19PM
Hi Chris, sorry you had to state what was explained in the manual. I just read it at page 74. I assume that I change S185 to whatever temperature I want?
November 01, 2013 01:45PM
I don't really understand what value has to be changed in the start.gcode file. I changed s185 to s210. Then the extruder heated up to that value but dropped to 185 again after. Seems to be printing perfectly at 185 C though with the red tape (even though it's rated 190-220)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2013 01:59PM by Nilez.
November 01, 2013 02:47PM
There are two lines with S185, you need to change both.

M104 S185 ; set extruder temp 
M190 S70 ; set bed temp & wait
M109 S185 ; wait for extruder temp

The comments should be self explanatory.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 01, 2013 03:04PM
Ah ok,I forgot one. Thank you Chris.
November 01, 2013 03:38PM
Thanks for this clarification. I guess we have been spoiled these days with GUI's in software and it takes some getting used to the fragmented style of the open source world. It's also worth remembering that, after what is a very intensive build process, the last few pages are easily forgotten and perhaps a lesson for us all to go back with fresh eyes and review the setup procedure again a few days after the initial build.
November 01, 2013 04:14PM
uhm, so in Skeinforge, I select the ABS profile and slice the file. That should use start_ABS.gcode to set temps? Because I'm doing that and the resulting gcode has S185 for both temps? How does the profile link to the gcode file?
November 01, 2013 04:29PM
In Skeinforge there is an Alterations Tab (button) and the settings under here specify the start and end gcode files. These files are prepended and appended respectively to the gcode generated by the slicing process.

The reason that temperatures are set in start_*.gcode is to permit the operation of Nophead's ooze-free start. The extruder and bed heating need to be started, and the extruder positioned at the front of the machine, before actual printing begins. Of course this means that you are not able to use Skeinforge's temperature setting module as a consequence of this.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login