Slicer Settings for the Mendel90
November 01, 2013 11:49AM
Hi Guys

Maybe this has already been done. But I'd like to experiment with slicer's other than Skeinforge. I have noticed that in these slicing programs, the settings are sometimes named a little different or in different logical locations. I'm wondering if it might be an idea to have a thread where we post successful settings for the software we have used, to help others get to know the software? Of course, when I say 'we', I'm currently lost in the quagmire with all these terms and numbers! winking smiley

What do you think?
Re: Slicer Settings for the Mendel90
November 01, 2013 11:57AM
Sounds like a great idea. We should be able to create some profiles for the other slicers as well, to have a solid starting point.
November 01, 2013 04:36PM
I can offer sclic3r 0.9.10b settings which work very good for me.

check the start/end gcode to suit your needs. it contains priming sequences etc.
Attachments:
open | download - config.ini (3 KB)
November 01, 2013 10:06PM
I started this thread awhile back, but it never really cought on...

--------------------------------------------------------
Custom all metal CoreXY
- Duet 2 Wifi w/ PanelDue 7i
- 330mm x 360mm x 500mm
- 750w Silicon heater

Custom Mendel90
(Backup printer - Old reliable!) - Sold
November 02, 2013 01:19PM
Is there a settings for ABS? I can't seem to setup SF for ABS so don't mind trying another slicer.
November 02, 2013 04:30PM
November 02, 2013 07:51PM
It's a shame, I think it would really help those of us understand these settings so we can experiment on our own.

Mogal
I started this thread awhile back, but it never really cought on...
November 29, 2013 03:36AM
it will be really nice if more people could upload Slic3r settings here. PLA, ABS, different layer heights etc.
November 29, 2013 11:25AM
i'm always adjusting my config files. Here's my current White PLA config for 0.2 layer height.

PLEASE NOTE, my extruder tip is 0.35mm. So you will need to adjust your settings if you have a 0.40 tip.

Things to adjust or think about.

Print Settings tab
Layers and perimeters
  • First layer height - I always print the first layer at 0.3. It gives a little extra padding if your bed isn't a 100% level.
  • Perimeters - generally I do at least 2, but that's just a preference.
  • Horizontal shells - generally I do at least 3 on top and bottom. If you change layer height to 0.1mm MAKE sure to increase the horizontal shells since your shells are only half as thick.
Infill
  • Fill density - I generally range from 0.1 to 0.2
  • I leave other settings at default
Speed
  • Speed for print moves - I have a Sturdy M90, so i'm always playing with these settings. Just play and see what works for you. The attached config has 40mm/s for most settings cus I think I read Nophead mentioned those speeds in another thread.
  • Modifiers - First layer speed - 60% works great for me
Advanced
  • Extrusion width - Default extrusion width - 0.35 (as this is the width of my extruder tip). change this to 0.4 if that's what your extruder is. All other Extruder width settings I leave at zero.

Filament Settings tab
Filament
  • Diameter - Don't be lazy, go check your filament AND remember different colors WILL have different widths.
  • Temps - I think i'm running a little hot with WHITE PLA at 200c on first layer... so you might want to try 190 or 195.
Cooling
  • Enable - yes please. The only setting I mess with is what layer to turn on the fan. After the first 2 layers works for me.

Printer Settigs tab
Custom G-code
  • Start G-code
M140 S65 ; turn on bed
G28 ; home all axis
G1X0Y100Z0 ; move to hotend warming location

• End G-code
M107 ; turn off fan
M104 S0 ; turn off extruder
M140 S0 ; turn off bed
G1X-100Y100Z200 ; move to cooling location
M84 ; disable motors
Attachments:
open | download - 0.20mmWHITE_40.ini (2.9 KB)
November 30, 2013 05:31AM
Hi,
I think its a really good idea to have this thread!

I got my mendel90 ready two weeks ago, and I use Ubuntu 12.04, but I have got stuck on slicing -- skeinforge is extremely counter-inuitive to me. I don't understand the user interface.
Maybe I just have too little time off from work, to learn it.
Any good tutorials? (of course I can google on it, but if someone *knows* a pointer that he or she has good experience with)

If you are given settings by for 0.35 mm extuder (like the post of lions3 above), can you convert the settings to 0.4 nozzle by some simple computation, without human interaction? (a script :-)

Are there ways to quickly get going with decent default settings?
November 30, 2013 08:29AM
dawa
If you are given settings by for 0.35 mm extuder (like the post of lions3 above), can you convert the settings to 0.4 nozzle by some simple computation, without human interaction? (a script :-)

In Slic3r just follow the initial wizard to get your basic config settings. Then follow my instructions above to make adjustments to those settings. If I don't mention a tab or section, it's cus i'm using the defaults.

Don't worry, you're not alone on skeinforge. I've been printing for almost a year and it's only this month that i've actually got skeinforge working.
November 30, 2013 08:35AM
Thanks!
Are you using Linux/Windows/Mac?
November 30, 2013 11:24AM
dawa
Thanks!
Are you using Linux/Windows/Mac?

Generally a Mac, just cus I have a macbook pro from work smiling smiley
November 30, 2013 01:21PM
Hi, just read the Slic3r is nicer tutorials:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Good luck!

EDIT: Thank you Lions3 for the settings!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2013 01:58PM by Șap7e.
December 02, 2013 03:43AM
I got it working with nopheads default settings in skeinforge, both 0.3 and 0.2. (only PLA yet)
I went into the ~/.skeinforge/profiles/extrusion directory and made backup copies of all the profiles before starting skeinforge.
I think I messed up the files before, since it seems that skeinforge changed settings instantly when I just thought I made temporary changes in the GUI. It is easy to restore with cp -r if something goes wrong.

I aslo think i had bad calibration/bad bed levelling.
Now it works ok!

Any tips how to print a high thin hollow cylinder without loosing grip from the plate?
How do you make rafts in skeinforge?
Support material?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 03:50AM by dawa.
December 02, 2013 04:53AM
Hi,

In Skeinforge under the Craft tab there is a Raft tab which combines settings for rafts and support material.

If you set Base layers and Interface layers to zero then a raft will not be generated otherwise non-zero values create a raft.

For your cylinder you could attach some "Mickey Mouse Ears" to its base. They only need to be one layer thick and just touch the shape outline so that they are easy to remove. Sometimes removing raft material is tricky.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
February 02, 2014 07:31AM
I' am a bit confused about the relative Extruder mode:

In the Mendel90 Manual at page 80 Nophead has set the print center to 0/0 and not ticked use realtive e distances. He suggests on page 81 to include M82 in the start code - But M82 is for absolute mode and in the skeinforge code he uses the right M83 command.

Lions Setting of Slic3r does not include a ticket relative E and either a M83 code, in contrary to muelli's settings... It is confusing for me.

That's why I have the question:
Can anybody tell me if i have to tick "Use relative E distances" or a M83 in the start code is enough, or what to select?
February 02, 2014 09:24AM
Selecting relative E distances causes the slicer to insert M83 into the generated GCode. I have it enabled for all of my slicer configurations.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
February 02, 2014 11:12AM
The firmware defaults to relative E but you can override it with M82 to accept absolute. M83 has no effect but it would on firmwares configured to default to absolute.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 02, 2014 01:16PM
Now I am really confused, cause your start_code in Skeinforge has a M83....
what would happen if I use M82 with your mendel90?

Regards
February 02, 2014 03:15PM
M82 switches it to absolute mode so any following E codes are interpreted as absolute.

I only recommend relative as absolute doesn't allow mid flight refuelling and can often cause the filament to run backwards, etc.

For Cura I have used a mixture of the modes as it only generates absolute and I like my start code in relative.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 04, 2014 10:31AM
FYI, at some point in the next wk i'll post a couple updates to my Slic3r settings. After looking closer at nophead's Skeinforge settings I really really like that he sets the extruder temp in the Custom G-code start settings. That way on the fly you can change the temp of the extruder if you see any problems.

Also my advanced setting for extrusion width in Slic3r is wrong. For objects printed with a 0.35 hotend with layer height of 0.2 should have an extrusion width of 0.45. There's a couple websites you can use that help calculator the proper width. I'm using the Tantillus calculator: [www.tantillus.org]

If I ever have time maybe i'll make a little cheat sheet with all the different extrusion widths...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login