Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FTDI driver for the serial port

Posted by Garry Bartsch 
FTDI driver for the serial port
November 02, 2013 02:43AM
I am hoping to be able to wire up the Melzi tomorrow and try communicating with the printer but am unclear about the USB FTDI driver.

From the manual: "On Windows, the PC will need a USB FTDI driver for the serial port to appear. This can be found in the Arduino drivers folder."

There are many dll's in the drivers folder and ftdibus.sys. Which one do I need? Where do I put it? I'm not sure what I need to do to install the driver.

Can someone advise me what to do? Thanks.
Re: FTDI driver for the serial port
November 02, 2013 06:05AM
Not that I would wish to admit being a Windows user but I started Arduino then connected and powered the Mendel90 afterwards and Windows prompted to search for a driver. It did this then downloaded and installed the driver automatically.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
November 02, 2013 07:28AM
When installing a driver you are prompted to specify a directory, not the individual files. You don't have to do anything with the files manually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2013 08:07AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 02, 2013 02:08PM
So I can expect Windows to prompt me for a driver location when I connect the USB. That's easy but I wasn't sure. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login