Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Maximum Speed

Posted by BrianC 
Maximum Speed
November 05, 2013 04:48PM
What's the maximum travel speed you guys have used while still maintaining a decent level of precision? I'm currently at 50mm/s and am looking to speed it up a little as the list of things to print is really piling up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2013 07:00PM by BrianC.
Re: Maximum Speed
November 06, 2013 02:54AM
I use 200mm/s. I did run at 500mm/s for a while but got a missed step on Y.

I don't think travel speed has much effect on print quality because it has the extruder fast forward time to settle.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 06, 2013 06:57PM
Is it safe to run it that high for extended periods of time? I'm pretty much printing 24/7 at this point, aside from a few hours at night.
November 06, 2013 08:06PM
Yes I have a kit machine from the start of production that has run nearly 24/7 for nearly a year now and there is no noticeable degradation. Eventually the belts and bearings will wear out but I don't think moving faster will cause them to wear more. I assume the wear is mainly proportional to the total distance travelled, i.e. the amount of objects printed. I don't think 200mm/s is considered fast for the motors, belts and bearings. I assume they are all rated for much higher speeds.

November 06, 2013 08:24PM
Wow, looks like I made the right choice going with the 90 then lol. And doesn't going faster still affect accuracy and precision to a certain extent? The amplitude of the minute vibrations in all the parts would be proportional to the speed. Or is it just insignificant?

And by the way, do you have any tips on production? I'm not printing printers, just some equipment for another hobby of mine.
November 07, 2013 03:18AM
The outline and infill speeds affect precision but as I said before I don't think travel speed has much effect because after a move it has to un-retract the filament which gives some settling time before it starts to extrude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2013 07:55AM by nophead.

November 07, 2013 10:24AM
Oh sorry my mistake I thought travel speed just meant how fast it moves in general, including during outline and infill. Wasn't aware there were two different feed rates. I meant just feed rate. I'm at 100mm/s right now and I'm finding the parts are coming out messier. Lowering flow to feed ratio sorta fixes it, but the parts come out weaker. Is 100 mm/s still a realistic speed for feed rate?
November 08, 2013 12:27PM
Flow and feed rates should always be the same.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login