Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How Often to Grease the Extruder Gears?

Posted by Garry Bartsch 
How Often to Grease the Extruder Gears?
November 22, 2013 01:43PM
I'm just wondering how often to grease the extruder gears? Obviously we don't want them to run dry but I don't want to add grease when not needed. If we can see traces of grease on the teeth surfaces is it still OK?
Re: How Often to Grease the Extruder Gears?
November 22, 2013 03:53PM
If you put too much on then it just squeezes out the sides, which obviously then just sits there doing nothing. I typically apply a little more grease every time I switch colours/material, either directly from the tube or by wiping the excess off the sides and back onto the teeth.
November 23, 2013 01:38AM
Thank you, I understand what you mean about too much. I put a bit too much on the first time and some squeezed out onto the sides also. The manual said they will wear out quickly without lubrication and that's something I want to avoid.
November 23, 2013 03:13AM
as long as the teeth look greasy, it should be ok.
print some spare gears to be safe :-)
November 23, 2013 01:42PM
muelli
as long as the teeth look greasy, it should be ok.
print some spare gears to be safe :-)

Thanks - they do look greasy. I can see the grease on the teeth surface.

Yes, that is on my list of first important things to go. I have questions: 1) Must the gears be ABS or could they be PLA? 2) To make them dimensionally accurate must I use Skeinforge? (Despite my initially feeling of despair when running it I am actually beginning to like Skeinforge smiling smiley.) 3) If I must use Skeinforge do I simply slice using the ABS profile that Chris has setup?
November 29, 2013 07:55AM
From my experience the gears don't get too hot so your safe using PLA. I printed my spares in PLA as it gives better dimensional accuracy over ABS. But the Wades Extruder body and X-Carriage are right up against the hotend and would need to be printed in ABS. Skeinforge is quite a beast to wrap your mind around, but its the best out there imo for getting accurate prints. But it does need a serious facial overhaul to make it a little less scary looking.

Also, I too worried a lot about the lubrication requirements so I liberally coated the gears in silicon grease (couldn't get my hands on Lithium grease). They have been turning for a month now with no signs of wear and I haven't had to top up on grease either, but to be on the safe side I have 2 sets of spares on standby in case the worse happens!

Hope this helps and happy printing!
November 29, 2013 10:18AM
FWIW I use this grease from the local bike shop:

I'm convinced I put way too much on because every time I need to go anywhere near the extruder assembly I get it everywhere, but it's cheap and I'm better safe than sorry I suppose...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login