Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why do these gaps appear in this sliced model?

Posted by Nilez 
Why do these gaps appear in this sliced model?
December 16, 2013 04:34PM
Hi all,

I sliced the attached model with the PLA 0.2 profile with Skeinforge and was wondering why the gaps (marked in the pictures) appear in the sliced model? Can I do something with the settings to get rid of them? They don't show up when the model is sliced with the PLA 0.3 profile.

Much thanks in advance,

Niels
Attachments:
open | download - connector.jpg (97.6 KB)
open | download - gap.jpg (48.8 KB)
open | download - gap2.jpg (22.2 KB)
open | download - gaps.jpg (70.7 KB)
Re: Why do these gaps appear in this sliced model?
December 16, 2013 05:12PM
Hi Niels,

Are you sure it is not just a RepetierHost rendering artifact? You could try viewing your G-Code online here and see how it compares.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
December 16, 2013 05:36PM
Remember that sketchup isn't a proper 'solid' modeller too and it's circles are rather 'hacky'.

Try modelling the same problem area with more sections in your tube....
December 17, 2013 09:59AM
Thanks guys,

The gaps do show up in the print so it isn't just an artefact. The strange thing is that when I slice only one segment or block of the "dodecagonal" model the gaps don't turn up in the block (photo attached). As soon as I add another segment the problem shows. I guess maybe it has something to do with the orientation (different angle ) of the blocks which causes problems for Skeinforge? A remarkable thing is that the gaps don't show up if I slice the model with PLA 0.3 instead of 0.2. I've also attached two stl files and gcode files in case anyone wants to take a closer look.

Regards,

Niels
-------------------------
Edit: I'm pretty sure the model is manifold in Sketchup by the way. I use several pluggins to verify the object is solid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2013 10:03AM by Nilez.
Attachments:
open | download - one block.stl (157.8 KB)
open | download - one block.gcode (529 KB)
open | download - two blocks.stl (321.4 KB)
open | download - two blocks gcode.zip (126.3 KB)
open | download - one block screenshot.jpg (65.3 KB)
December 17, 2013 01:21PM
Your STL files are non manifold, so will give odd effects when you slice them.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 17, 2013 02:42PM
Hi Chris,

So they're not solid confused smiley. Scratching my head now about what to do about it since inside Sketchup the model proves solid. Can it get non-manifold in the process of converting it to STL? I'm sorry if I'm asking these things in the wrong place. Just wondering if someone maybe recognizes this problem. But thank you very much for checking my stl's, because I know where the problem lies! thumbs up
December 17, 2013 02:57PM
Meanwhile I've hit google to search for a method for repairing stl's and have used "netfabb cloud service" to repair my stl's. I've attached the fixed file by Netfabb, but the gaps still show up after slicing confused smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2013 02:57PM by Nilez.
Attachments:
open | download - twoblocks_fixed.stl (57.7 KB)
open | download - twoblocks_fixed_export.zip (118.7 KB)
December 17, 2013 04:38PM
The fixed versions seems to slice correctly for me.

December 17, 2013 05:55PM
So you don't get the gaps displayed in the pictures of the first post Chris? Then it must be something with Skeinforge on my system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2013 05:57PM by Nilez.
December 17, 2013 07:46PM
Actually I do with the 0.2mm PLA profile. I tested with a 0.2mm ABS profile I use with a 0.45mm nozzle and it worked.

Also the 0.3mm PLA profile works, so it must be depend on line width and layer height, which determines exactly where it samples the STL. I can't see anything wrong with the STL but I never get errors like that with SF myself.

December 18, 2013 01:19PM
Ok so bit of a weird thing going on here then. I'll see if slightly changing the dimensions of my model will eliminate the problem. Thanks again for testing Chris!! thumbs upthumbs up
December 22, 2013 01:13PM
Have you thought of trying openscad? It would seem better suited to that sort of print.
December 27, 2013 10:48AM
Hi Ralph,

I use sketchup because I've learned to work with it before I got into 3d printing, and now I simply don't have time to learn another programme. But with having to redraw a part when a dimension is off I wish I had learned to work with a parametric cad programme sad smiley. Maybe when I have the time again, I'll have a go at it. I'm also very visually oriented so I'm a bit scared of Openscad winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2013 10:59AM by Nilez.
December 28, 2013 04:37PM
Openscad is very easy to learn and you can render very quickly to see what your code does. It took me about 2 hours to learn the basics of it which are sufficient for all my needs so far.
Most of the tutorials and manuals are heavy reading. This is a well written (imo) beginner's tutorial :
[www.makerbot.com]
I haven't opened sketchup since I looked at it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2013 04:39PM by Ralph.Hilton.
January 02, 2014 05:16PM
Ok you've made me curious. hopefully I'll have the same experience once I have the time to give it a whirl! smiling smiley Thanks for the link!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2014 05:18PM by Nilez.
January 04, 2014 05:46AM
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that if you first export your sketchup file to .dae and then convert it to stl with another programme (I used Meshlab), the model is sliced correctly with Skeinforge (no more gaps in this case). So a little work-around if the normal stl-export of Sketchup gives you problems during the slicing process.

Regards,

Nilez
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login