Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First layer debris with higher temperature

Posted by Nilez 
First layer debris with higher temperature
January 08, 2014 09:06AM
Hi folks,

I've noticed that since I've heightened the extrusion temperature from 185C to 195C, the hotend carries around and leaves behind more debris on the first layer when doing the outlines. This happens when the printer rapidly moves from one end of the part to the other. It leaves tiny blobs of filament which are obstacles for the first layer. Is this a retracting issue now that it oozes more due to higher temperatures? Also the skirt often incomplete because the filament comes out in tiny blobs during the first part of the skirt.

The retract settings in Slic3r are 1mm length and speed is 30 mm/s. The firs layer is layer is laid down at 20 mm/s. Travel speed is 200 mm/s

Thanks very much in advance,
Re: First layer debris with higher temperature
January 08, 2014 11:40AM
One of the big improvements I got by reducing the temperature to 185C was more stable behaviour at the start and a much more consistent first outline. If you want to use a higher temperature you may be better keeping the first layer outline at 185C and increasing it after that.

If you are getting strings then try increasing the retract up to 1.5mm. The viscosity of PLA drops very rapidly with temperature so it oozes faster.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 08, 2014 03:10PM
Thanks, excellent suggestion! With Skeinforge you can set this first layer temp as well with the temperature tab? Does it overwrite the starting gcode?
January 08, 2014 05:38PM
It won't overwrite the start.gcode as that is just appended but subsequent temperature commands will change the temperature. I have never used the Temperature module so I am not sure what it does exactly.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 08, 2014 05:49PM
Ok, I'll do some testing with it when I use Skeinforge again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login