Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LM8UU Squeaking - Grease Type

Posted by RyanMark 
LM8UU Squeaking - Grease Type
January 31, 2014 05:39PM
What grease type is recommended to apply to LM8UU's (They are developing louder squeaks)? I have Lithium grease and Sewing machine oil, would either of these work?
Re: LM8UU Squeaking - Grease Type
February 01, 2014 04:46AM
I put some lithium grease on one machine and it turned gummy over time and completely seized, so I only recommend oil. Also I think the bearings come with oil in them, not grease.

I use car engine oil, but only very occasionally. Sewing machine may be better as I think the oil they come with is quite thin, almost paraffin like. Presumably thinner oil gives less friction but thicker oil hangs around longer.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 03, 2014 02:35PM
oiling the smooth rods will do nothing, neither good nor bad, as every bearing comes with an oil seal on every side which just pushes the oil to the end of the rods. thats about it :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2014 02:35PM by muelli.
February 03, 2014 05:25PM
Well it works for me. If the seal was perfect the rods would have no oil on them when the bearing has passed, yet it does.

February 03, 2014 07:19PM
I added the sewing oil and it lessened the squeaking, so it does do something.
March 07, 2014 05:26AM
I had the same problem with a squeaking Y axis. Applying sewing machine oil to the rods helped for a while, but after printing for many hours, the Y axis now developes a rattling sound which becomes louder and louder.

Curiously, the noise appears only at movements in one direction. I controlled the screws at the Y axis but all are tight.

Can it be, that one of the linear bearings has a damage?
March 07, 2014 07:30AM
One of my machines has always done that and has been running for more than a year constantly. Some bearings just seem to be more noisy that others. For some reason it only seems to be on the Y axis two bearing side, so it might depend on alignment. Or it might be that the Y axis amplifies the sound.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login