Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Heater Power

Posted by amr_dwarf 
Extruder Heater Power
February 10, 2014 03:17PM
I am looking at the Pico: [www.b3innovations.com]
Can the Melzi board I got in the kit from Nophead handle 40 watts of power at 12V?

/ Amr_Dwarf
Re: Extruder Heater Power
February 11, 2014 05:58AM
The Melzi can handle it easily. The limiting factor is the ribbon cable which has three wires in parallel for the heater, which is just about enough, but a bit marginal for 40W.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 10, 2014 09:22AM
Would it be recommended to mount an additional ribbon cable?
March 10, 2014 12:02PM
I've been using a 40 watt heater for a couple of months without problems.
March 11, 2014 03:48AM
That sound good Ralph!

So if I should pre-order a Pico is it the "groove mount" option I should choose?

Anything else to think about, nozzle sizes, etc?
March 11, 2014 05:15AM
The groove mount looks right for the Mendel90 - 16mm. I've been using the E3D. [e3d-online.com] . I have 0.4 and 0.6 nozzles. I use the 0.6 much more as it prints faster and I'm not particularly concerned about the rougher finish for most things I print. I'll get a 0.8 soon
March 11, 2014 06:22AM
Do the E3D fit straight on to the Mendel90 or is there som modifications needed?
Is there a table for the thermistor avalible?
How do you supply power to the fan in the E3D?

I was also thinking of going to a bigger nozzle just to improve speed on bigger parts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 08:16AM by amr_dwarf.
March 11, 2014 10:40AM
I fitted a washer with the E3D so that it was held firmly in the extruder. Otherwise it fits fine.
The sensor supplied uses:
#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 5
The power for the fan can come from the left probe pin (gnd) and the left heater pin (+12) on the small pcb.
March 11, 2014 11:11AM
So it works fine with the fan only powered when the heater is on? I was thinking about a way to have the fan constant on.

I think the E3D complete with fan and housing looks to big to fit inside the Mendel90s fan shroud. But you got in in there without problems?

Hmmm, might try the E3D instead of the Pico then...
March 11, 2014 12:08PM
I don't use the mendel90 fan shroud. I'll figure out a replacement at some point. Connecting the fan to the 2 wires as above causes it to be on all the time as the ground line to the heater is switched rather than the +12 volt line.
March 11, 2014 12:19PM
amr_dwarf
I think the E3D complete with fan and housing looks to big to fit inside the Mendel90s fan shroud. But you got in in there without problems?
Some modifications (or new printed parts) are required to get the E3D to fit the Mendel90.
Several people have used the E3D with Mendel90's. See: [www.thingiverse.com] , [sphereinabox.wordpress.com] , [defcad.com]

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
March 13, 2014 09:06PM
Here's my new fan housing:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2014 09:10PM by Ralph.Hilton.
March 24, 2014 11:29AM
When using the E3D hotend and calibrating the Z-home position, what value do you use for "thermal expansion"?
For the J-head that came in the kit Nophead specifies to use 0.2 mm.
March 24, 2014 01:26PM
Metal expands about an order of magnitude less than plastic so it is probably negligible. In either case 0.2mm is just a first approximation. You need to measure how thick the skirt is compared to how thick it should be to tune it accurately.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login