Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Retraction distance?

Posted by Nilez 
Retraction distance?
February 11, 2014 02:56PM
Hi people,

I'm experiencing some (what I think is) oozing between parts of a print that are distanced a few centimetres from one another. This part is printed in PLA at a higher temperature than normal. I think I need to experiment with the retraction settings in Slic3r or Skeinforge. Currently both retraction distances are set at 1mm. What is a good increment to raise this setting? 0,5mm? 1mm? I have the kit version of Mendel90 by the way.

Thanks in advance,

Nilez

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2014 02:57PM by Nilez.
Re: Retraction distance?
February 11, 2014 04:31PM
I've already read in the slic3r manual that distances over 2mm are used with bowden extruders. How much do you guys increase the distance if you get too much blobs and strings?
February 11, 2014 06:08PM
1mm is sufficient for ABS and PLA at 185C. At higher temps PLA needs more, perhaps 1.5mm. Retracting more than that become a waste of time. At higher temps PLA will run out of the nozzle like syrup due to gravity.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
February 11, 2014 07:21PM
Thanks! For this part I'm extruding at 190C so the part is a bit stronger. Since it's a rather time-consuming print I thought I'd ask here what would be reasonable. I'm going to try 1.5.
February 12, 2014 01:24AM
When I tried to cure my issues with ooze I plunked in 2mm in Slic3r and it cured the ooze. But after reading Chris' point above I too will try 1.5mm.
February 12, 2014 02:56AM
I use 1.5mm.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
February 26, 2014 05:00PM
Do you add and extra length on restart at that higher level?
February 27, 2014 04:36AM
Hi Wisar,

For me just increasing to 1,5 was enough when extruding at 190 C. No extra length on restart was necessary. My bridges do come out a bit messier though. But I don't know if that has anything to do with retraction yet.

Regards,

Niels
March 03, 2014 12:49AM
Retraction to 1.5 at 190 does seem to work pretty well for ooziness. I am also using the wipe option in Slic3r. Not completely gone but better. My best results with bridges and overhangs (with PLA) has been cooling, cooling, cooling.

Wisar
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login