Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to MendelI90

Posted by zoroeye 
New to MendelI90
February 15, 2014 10:54AM
Hi guys, I'm deciding between MendelI90 and Prusa i3. Both are of great design, and strong community support (Prusa i3's community is a bit larger I think). I can find many Prusa i3 vendors, at pretty decent prices like [3dprinterczar.com] or www.diytechshop.com. But the only place that sells MendelI90 kit seems to be from Nophead. Sourcing parts myself is my last resort as I'm in a place not that convenient for getting some parts. My question is that, can you guys give me some good reasons that I should build a MendelI90 (which will cost more time and money) than a Prusa i3? Thanks.
Re: New to MendelI90
February 15, 2014 04:31PM
I have seen a few videos relating to building the i3 and they seem to require some hand-finishing of parts. Nophead does all this for you so you can just get on with building the kit.

There are also a few pre-assembled items in the Mendel90 kit i.e. the Melzi electronics (no motor driver setup required), the J-Head (completely assembled and taped) and, for U.K. buyers, an ATX power supply is included.

The biggest reason for buying a Mendel90 kit is that the kit is produced by nophead himself and he provides excellent support here in the forum. It is not a case of relying on third parties for support.

Speaking personally, I assembled my kit carefully and spent some time calibrating it. The results it produces are really first class and I certainly have no regrets in choosing this model.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
February 16, 2014 11:59PM
neildarlow which kind of panels did you assemble your MendelI90 with? How would you comment on the rigidity of the printer?
February 17, 2014 04:43AM
I have a Mendel90 kit. The panels are Dibond (aluminum composite) and the frame is very rigid.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
February 17, 2014 07:14AM
I would certainly second the Mendel90. Although I sourced a lot of the parts myself, I got the frame and printed parts off Chris (nophead). The design is first class, and after some dialling in I can now produce absolutely perfect parts. As Neil said, Chris provides absolutely excellent support and is of enormous help through everything. You wouldn't regret a Mendel90.
February 17, 2014 12:01PM
thanks guys, the only concern I have is shipping since I'm in Canada. You guys know any clones/resellers in North America?
February 17, 2014 01:42PM
I would not know but there are definitely a few Canadian folks who have bought nophead's kit. I believe the shipping charges are reasonable.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login