Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Updated Marlin customized for Mendel90

Posted by neildarlow 
Re: Updated Marlin customized for Mendel90
May 26, 2014 03:13PM
bastard
Neil - is it possible to merge his changes into yours?

Attached is a zipfile with the changes applied to my latest firmware. Can you please replace your existing files with the content of this file, build and test the result?

The file is here: Marlin_v1_Mendel90_umlaut.zip

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
July 01, 2014 06:06AM
Hi All,

My 01-Jul-2014 update includes alexborro's Thermal Runaway Protection code.

This feature is designed to detect a thermistor becoming detached and immediately halt the printer when this happens. For now, the feature must be enabled in Configuration.h and may be independently enabled for extruder and heated bed.

Due to the way that Nophead constructs his J-Head, the chances of the thermistor becoming detached should be low. You may wish to enable this feature for "peace of mind" value on machines which are remotely operated or are left operating unattended for long periods of time.

As this is a new piece of code I have not enabled it by default. Please be confident that does not interfere with normal printing before leaving your printer unattended.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
July 01, 2014 07:59AM
I saw that someone's house burnt down due to a detached thermistor.... ouch!

I'm regularly starting a print and walking away now (yes, my medel90 is THAT good!!) :p

I'll be adding this, great work Neil!
July 01, 2014 09:33AM
It isn't possible for the thermistor to become detached when it is stuck in with cement. The only way to get it out is by drilling it. If the wires become detached you get a MIN_TEMP error. If they are shorted you get MAX_TEMP. A partial short causes the hot end to run cool.

In the event of the heater being permanently on due to a failed MOSFET or a firmware bug I don't think it will start a fire because the limited power of 25W only produces about 300C. The problem is caused by 40W heater cartridges that will get to ridiculous temperatures in the event of a fault and thermistors fastened in with kapton tape or silicone sealant.

The bed temperature is self limiting due to the resistance of copper increasing with temperature.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 01, 2014 10:07AM
nophead
It isn't possible for the thermistor to become detached when it is stuck in with cement. The only way to get it out is by drilling it. If the wires become detached you get a MIN_TEMP error. If they are shorted you get MAX_TEMP. A partial short causes the hot end to run cool.

In the event of the heater being permanently on due to a failed MOSFET or a firmware bug I don't think it will start a fire because the limited power of 25W only produces about 300C. The problem is caused by 40W heater cartridges that will get to ridiculous temperatures in the event of a fault and thermistors fastened in with kapton tape or silicone sealant.

The bed temperature is self limiting due to the resistance of copper increasing with temperature.

Agreed, kit-built machines should be safe. User-sourced Mendel90 derivatives could have any combination of hot-end and heated bed technologies. It is an option, defaulted off, that could be applied in those circumstances.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

July 02, 2014 11:07AM
It wasn't a Mendel90, it was a Solidoodle (I think, couldn't find the link)....
July 02, 2014 11:08AM
I found the link

[www.soliforum.com]
July 02, 2014 03:43PM
I have read the background on that failure and there is no information available as to whether the printer was modified in any way.

This raises an important point i.e. 3D Printer Designers can make best efforts to create a safe product (Nophead has already qualified the likely outcome of MOSFET and thermistor failures for his kit) but users can, and do, modify their printers in ways that could cause a deviation from safety expectations under failure.

The simple act of replacing the Mendel90 kit J-Head with e.g. an E3D V5 or V6 is a good example. You are replacing a 25W vitreous resistor with a 40W cartridge heater. The E3D hotend is designed for operation at temperatures up to 300C. A compounded failure of the MOSFET and cooling fan could create a set of conditions which the Mendel90 kit would not experience using standard components.

Users should be cautious in making any such modifications and be aware that they bear the responsibility for consequences arising from them. Unfortunately if too many of these incidents occur it could lead to the imposition of standards (or, worse, the requirement for certification) of our, currently, unregulated hardware.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

August 25, 2014 12:01AM
Just throwing my experience in here:

I tried the new firmware and when I printed the printer would stop after a few layers. I uploaded the gcode to the sd card, printed from it and disconnected from the computer to make sure it wasn't a gcode sending issue on the pc side, same problem a few layers in.

I flashed back to nopheads firmware and it prints fine.
August 25, 2014 08:45AM
I have been trialing Neil's version on one of my machines and it seems reliable. However I didn't pick up the July update so perhaps that has a bug.

August 27, 2014 05:03PM
[www.dropbox.com]

Here is the gcode I was trying to print if someone gets really bored. It prints 2 fairly small little pieces sliced with KISSlicer. This is setup for heated bed and PLA.
August 28, 2014 10:54PM
@goopyplastic: I will look into your problem next week (I am presently on holiday in Mexico).

I run a test print at each update before uploading to GitHub and use this firmware for my personal printing needs. There may be a bug that is exposed by your particular GCode but I have not experienced what you describe.

August 29, 2014 12:21PM
Hello Forum,

i build my own Prusa i3 with a little different mechanics.

As electronics i use a Melzi Board from Sainsmart.
The Board itself works very nice and have attached a Heatbed.
The Mosfet on the Board was wrong dimensionated (to small and wrong resistor) and it burns first, but i can save the Board.
I changed it to an extrenally Mosfet with proper dimensionated Mosfet and now so far everything works fine.

I tested it with first Marlin Version by Eric Zalm an it works pretty good and the Print results arenot Bad so far.
As Extruder i use an Direct Drive Extruder (the China Metal Version for 50 Bucks) and it works fantastic.
more as 50m of Filament was printed without any Problems.

While i am interested in Standallone Printing, i searching the Web for an Displaysolution and found - how i find - this very interesting Solution.

[www.thingiverse.com]
This sounds perfect to me and i give a Try to compile my Marlin version with lots of errors.
After that, i read a lot of Articles in Web about different Firmware developments and changings,
and found finaly the Firmwarechanges from Neil Darlow.

It looks perfect to me, and i give it a try to change the configuration.h for my Setup.(Without LCD)
First Print result is as expected good.

i am not very firm in dealing with Arduino SW - before i do some Developments, but allways in BASCOM .
If i compile with LCD i get allways an Error from Arduino Envoirement called:

no matching function for call to "LiquidCrystal_I2C::LiquidCrystal_I2C(int,int,int....

THe Marked Line is
 LCD_CLASS lcd(LCD_I2C_ADDRESS,LCD_I2C_PIN_EN,LCD_I2C_PIN_RW,LCD_I2C_PIN_RS,LCD_I2C_PIN_D4,LCD_I2C_PIN_D5,LCD_I2C_PIN_D6,LCD_I2C_PIN_D7);

can anybody please Advice, where my fault is?

Sorry for my Bad English, it`s a bit Rusty

(Note)

upps - Sorry for confusing, The Attached File is now changed to right one -

I do some Testings even with different Displays (also Sainsmart YUROBOT)
but bothing helps, the Error occur`s
The Pins.h is also set as proposed in that Thing
all Files are needed (also from neil darlow) are copied in the proposed folders
I think i have everything prepared as needed

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2014 12:55PM by Schteffl.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (32.7 KB)
September 02, 2014 12:34PM
With Marlin V1 i got Success ! smileys with beer Changes made, compiled and - the Display is working.

everything works now fine but not with the Neil Darlow Port - and i don`t know why

I use Arduino 1.0.4 to compile but allways several Errormessages while compiling.
September 04, 2014 08:18AM
@goopyplastic: Have you enabled the Thermal Runaway Protection feature? I can see a possible scenario where it might trigger and halt your printer without notice.

The default settings for the Heated Bed Thermal Runaway Protection have just 2 degrees hysteresis and with normal on-off temperature control this may not be sufficient.

I do not enable this feature by default although I have it enabled on my printer but I use PID temperature control for the heated bed.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

September 05, 2014 02:57PM
neildarlow
@goopyplastic: Have you enabled the Thermal Runaway Protection feature? I can see a possible scenario where it might trigger and halt your printer without notice.

The default settings for the Heated Bed Thermal Runaway Protection have just 2 degrees hysteresis and with normal on-off temperature control this may not be sufficient.

I do not enable this feature by default although I have it enabled on my printer but I use PID temperature control for the heated bed.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

I didn't add any features from either nophead's or your firmware that I know of. The one thing that is different is I am not using a Melzi from Nophead, but one I got stateside and it runs the maniacbug bootloader which is different than what nophead uses.
September 06, 2014 09:36AM
@goopyplastic: Unless the bootloader breaks the uploaded code somehow I cannot see why that would be a problem.

Does the startup banner, displayed in Pronterface with the auto-reset jumper inserted, look sensible as far as the reported values are concerned? Are you running the printer with the auto-reset jumper removed during printing?

Regards,
Neil Darlow

October 13, 2014 09:56PM
When I try to use this version of Marlin, I am getting numerous "analog input to digital pin" errors. I thought that problem had been corrected?
October 14, 2014 04:05AM
It has, you probably have not placed all the files in the required locations. If you follow the sequence outlined in an earlier post you should have no problems.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

October 14, 2014 04:30AM
okay, I don'y have a "c:\documents\arduino" folder, so I don't know where to copy the required files to now...
October 14, 2014 04:37AM
Rich K.
okay, I don'y have a "c:\documents\arduino" folder, so I don't know where to copy the required files to now...

I'm not in front of my Windows machines right now but I think that should be C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\Arduino
October 14, 2014 04:48AM
I've got things so mixed up on my computer since I "upgraded" from XP to Vista it's not funny. I have a "users/myname/documents/arduino" folder, but that does not contain a hardware folder. What I DO have is a "users/machining and metalworking/mendel90/dist" folder that contains all the stuff that was on Nophead's SD card (I downloaded the files from a web link instead of from an SD card), but I also have a folder that must have been automatically generated that is "users/myname/documents/arduino", but that only contains a "libraries" folder. What I have worked fine when I simply flashed Nophead's Marlin variant to my Melzi...
October 14, 2014 04:54AM
Hmm. Check that you haven't got a hidden "Hardware" folder at the same level as your "libraries" folder? To my knowledge the standard Arduino IDE doesn't contain the hardware definitions from Chris' variant - I had to copy the hardware folder to this location in order to see the Melzi in the boards list. This may have changed since I built mine though.

In any case, that folder *should* be the right place.
October 14, 2014 05:23AM
The libraries and hardware folders under ...\Documents\Arduino are searched before the system-provided folders. The LiquidTWI2 folder should be copied to the libraries folder and the Melzi folder should be copied to the hardware folder (make that folder if it does not exist).

The instructions may not have been explicit on this but please be aware that configuring and building a custom Marlin is not an activity a novice would normally undertake - although I have made best efforts to make it easy and a number of forum members have achieved a working result with no additional assistance.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

October 14, 2014 08:19PM
I'm STILL getting an error message that says:

Marlin_main.cpp:399: error: 'analogInput/toDigitalPin' was not declared in this scope

I have the "Melzi" folder in the hardware folder, and the "LiquidTWI2" folder in every library folder associated with Arduino that I could find. I get the error message when try to verify and compile the "Marlin" project in the "mendel90..." folder I dowloaded from the Github link mentioned previously.

To me, it looks like it chokes on this line:

const int sensitive_pins[ ] = SENSITIVE_PINS; // Sensitive pin list for M42

At least, it is highlighted in yellow when I get the error message.
October 15, 2014 02:35AM
A couple of questions:
1) What version of Arduino IDE are you using? You need at least version 1.0.1 and I have tested up to version 1.0.6.
2) Have you selected Melzi W/ ATmega1284p 16MHz from the Tools|Board menu before compiling?

The only reason I can see for you getting that error is if an incorrect target is selected. I synchronise this firmware to the Marlin trunk regularly and I test locally before updating my GitHub repository. I don't see this error.

With the many Arduino working folders you seem to have, are you sure you are working with the correct one?

Regards,
Neil Darlow

October 15, 2014 04:14AM
I have both Arduino 1.01 and 1.06, and I have the same problem running either one. Yes, that is the Melzi board I have selected, and I know I have the correct COM port. As I said, I have no problem compiling Nophead's original fork, just the one that has been further modified for the P2.
October 15, 2014 05:29AM
Just out if interest, can you leave the hardware and libraries folders as they are and substitute nophead's Marlin tree for mine. Then see if you get the same error generated. This will isolate the problem between Marlin and the environment.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

October 15, 2014 08:18AM
The version of Marlin I use does not need analogInputToDigitalPin() and the Melzi BSP I distribute does not have it.

Your later Marlin needs a version of the Melzi BSP with analogInputToDigitalPin(). I have added it to my github but not to the SD card I distribute. [github.com]

October 15, 2014 10:08AM
I have analogInputToDigitalPin defined in hardware\Melzi\variants\standard\pins_arduino.h so he should not be getting this error if that file is available.

Also required is hardware\Melzi\boards.txt containing:
atmega1284.build.variant=standard
This too should be available if the installation procedure has been followed correctly.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2014 10:12AM by neildarlow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login