Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Changing Z axis 0 height with Cura 14 on the M90

Posted by maddog7 
Changing Z axis 0 height with Cura 14 on the M90
March 22, 2014 02:03PM
Hi All,
I'd like to use a seperate sheet of glass to print ABS from the one I use for PLA.
The glass I got from a customer of mine is thicker than the original stuff by about .3mm
U use Pronterface/Slicer a bit but more and more these days I'm using Cura V14.
Is there any way to offset the Z0 height in the software? (both)
I could recompile the FW but it seems like quite a faff just to swap between materials.
I was sure I'd seen a setting somewhere in Cura to set up a Z offset but i'm damned if I can find it now?
Anyone any ideas or am I stuck modding the FW each time?
Cheers
D
Re: Changing Z axis 0 height with Cura 14 on the M90
March 22, 2014 06:01PM
I think the easiest way is to add some g-code at the start of the print. Assuming your bed is levelled for the thinner sheet it would be something like this for a print on a 0.3 mm thicker sheet:
G28 ; home all axis
G1 Z0.3 ; move to 0.3 mm above Z=0
G92 Z0 ; set the current position to Z=0
More on G92 here: [reprap.org]

//edit
A bit safer option, without the chance of crashing into the bull clips could be:

G28 ; home all axis
G1 Z10.3 ; move to 10.3 mm above Z=0
G92 Z10 ; set the current position to Z=10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2014 06:05PM by Banjer.
March 23, 2014 06:16AM
Thank you for that Banjer, I'll give that a go. Definitely a better solution than changing the FW each time!
Cheers
D
March 25, 2014 03:43PM
You can use the "Machine" option within Cura to define a new Machine for the Mendel90 with thin glass and thick glass. Then create custom start G-code for each that accounts for the glass thickness. This way by simply selecting the "Machine" you can slice and print with the least amount of effort.

Fl0yd
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login