Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why JB Weld on the heatbed and cement on the extruder ?

Posted by eci22 
Why JB Weld on the heatbed and cement on the extruder ?
May 01, 2014 10:53AM
Hi all,

Just a quick question- was there any particular reason why JB weld is used on the heatbed thermistor and cement on the extruder thermister ? Could you use JB weld for both ? or is it because of the metal expansion that epoxy is not suitable ?

Thanks
Re: Why JB Weld on the heatbed and cement on the extruder ?
May 01, 2014 11:12AM
JB weld does not handle the temperature of the extruder. They claim it does on the packet but it is only for short durations. It soon turns to dust and falls off.

I have never tried cement on the bed but I don't think it will work because you have to heat it above 200C to cure it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 01, 2014 12:12PM
Thanks for the reply nophead, Interesting when you read the JB Weld FAQ:

"Original J-B Weld can withstand a constant temperature of 500º F. The maximum temperature threshold is approximately 600º F for a short term (10 minutes). Refer to individual product packages for more temperature information."

the short term seems to be 315 Celsius and constant of 260 Celsius, I guess those figures don't stand up in real-life.

Thanks for the clarification
May 01, 2014 06:35PM
No they don't stand up, see [hydraraptor.blogspot.co.uk]

I emailed JB-weld to ask why but they never replied. However, I think the packets changed from saying 600F to 500F.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2014 04:49AM by nophead.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 02, 2014 03:16PM
It's funny that the FAQ says up to 600 degrees because the product page says 550. And even the high heat formulation also is rated to intermittent 550 degrees.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login