Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need parts for extruder connection PCB assembly

Posted by FallenKin 
Need parts for extruder connection PCB assembly
May 10, 2014 10:44PM
I'm in the US and trying to find all the components for the "extruder connection PCB assembly" I'm building the Mendel90 and can't seem to find these parts online. Can somone help point me in the right direction? Thanks
Re: Need parts for extruder connection PCB assembly
May 11, 2014 02:52AM
The PCB is custom from nophead you can buy it from him if you shoot him an email they come out to be about 14.00 USD and it comes with the IDC connectors. Nophead is a subject of the queen (He lives in the UK) so shipping is probably makes it about 20$.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2014 02:53AM by jakobnator.
May 11, 2014 06:05PM
You could solder up your own one

It'd be a lot easier if you could find a PCB mount D plug though.
May 12, 2014 10:14AM
isolt
It'd be a lot easier if you could find a PCB mount D plug though.
The problem is that the connector's pins won't line up with a standard .1" protoboard that all the header pins will want. So unless you're making a custom circuitboard, it's really not that much easier.

Originally I did similar to what you show in the picture. I found a protoboard at Radio Shack that and enough space along the edge that I could drill holes the right spacing for the connector, then just use wires/solder pads to go to the header pins. Not as clean as the original circuit board, but still pretty cheap.

Ultimately I replaced the whole thing with two ribbon cables instead of just one that terminate into IDC connectors. I don't plug and unplug them very often, so the durability of the connector style isn't that big of a deal. Plus I have considerable expansion room for additional wiring, the real point in switching and adding a 2nd cable. In addition to the existing fan, thermistor, and hot end connections, I've added a z-probe switch, servo, 2nd cooling fan for a E3D hot end, and some LED lighting under the carriage so I can see what's printing in the dark corner of the room and I still have some free pins if I think of anything else.
January 01, 2018 01:22PM
@FallenKin, For the "extruder connection PCB assembly" I suggest you to visit WellPCB. I also took some parts from them for my Mendel90.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login