Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quick question about heater cartridge wiring.

Posted by jakobnator 
Quick question about heater cartridge wiring.
May 14, 2014 11:25PM
Hello, I am almost done with M90 and I am trying to put the heater cartridge wires in the screw in terminals on the x carriage. However, the wire is 16 awg and it looks like the terminals are meant for ribbon cable size wire. I was going to peel back 3/4 the thickness of the wire but it looks messy and then it starts to touch the other heater wire. Is there a better way to do this? All the pictures I see online seem to be that the wire fits in the terminal perfectly.
Re: Quick question about heater cartridge wiring.
May 15, 2014 05:19AM
Cartridge heaters used for reprap don't normally have 16 AWG wires. What power rating is it?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 15, 2014 08:05AM
It's a cheap one I got from eBay, I am assuming that its 16 awg just because of the heat resistant wire.

According to the ebay page:

resistance of resistor 4.7Ω
resistor rated power 8W

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2014 08:05AM by jakobnator.
May 15, 2014 10:34AM
Maybe off topic given that the following has nothing to do with the wire gauge but.....

If you connect 4.7R to a +12V supply, you will draw 2.55A of current and generate 30.6W of power.

Using a 6V supply, you draw 1.28A and generate 7.6W which is close to what the figures suggest. All I am saying is take care and make sure that you only operate the cartridge when fitted into the hot end heater block and that you have good thermal contact.

Alan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login