Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Suddenly bad results

Posted by bastard 
Suddenly bad results
June 20, 2014 02:09AM
Hi,

a few weeks ago I printed a case for my LCD in grey and a knob for the klick button. I was satisfied with the results as I am since I finished the build last October.

This week I started to print the Nophead's Raspi+Camera addons in white. But I'm not satisfied with the results. It seems the 1st layer has a problem:

The other layers are o.k. for me.

During my experiments with the LCD I changed the firmware to the Neil-branch. Yesterday I uploaded the original firmware - the results are same bad.
Then I changed the Wade's gears - I already had a pair as spare parts - the results are same bad.

The next thing is calibrating it again, but I'm not sure if it will help.

Could anybody tell me what is going wrong with my printer?

MfG / Regards

Stefan

Blog / Gallery / Wiki / Mendel90 kit since Sep 2013 from Nophead / Original Prusa I3 MK3 since Feb 2018 /
OpenScad Workshop: Kursdateien
Octoprint Patron since April 2016
Re: Suddenly bad results
June 20, 2014 02:59AM
Hi,

Your signature says you are using Faberdashery filament so material quality should not be the problem. What are your other parameters e.g. temperatures, filament diameter calibration, slicer and settings etc.

Extrusion seems to be problematic. Your perimeter is obviously broken in places and there is a problem with the upper layers sagging. Is your filament feeding steadily? What are you doing in respect of cooling?

Could there be environmental effects on your filament? Is it in a damp atmosphere?

Lots of questions, I know, but this one looks like it will need a little detective work to solve.

Regards,
Neil Darlow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2014 03:00AM by neildarlow.

I try to write with consideration for all nationalities. Please let me know if something is unclear.
Printing with Mendel90 from fedora 25 using Cura, FreeCAD, MeshLab, OpenSCAD, Skeinforge and Slic3r tools.
June 20, 2014 07:57AM
Looks like wet/not dry filament to me. Especially the bubbles on the rods.

How do you store your filament?

I read something about baking at 70degree filament to get the water out (see German: "3D-Druck für alle der do-it-yourself-guide oder aktuelle sonderausgabe der ct bzgl. 3d druck), but I am not sure.
June 20, 2014 08:27AM
Looks like the first layer height is far too high.

Also are you printing over USB with the RPI and Camera? That gave me blobs on those bars until I added the usestills option.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 20, 2014 10:27AM
Print this:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Level your bed until it prints properly....
June 21, 2014 09:58AM
Hi all,

thank you very much! I'm "back in business" again. The only thing I changed at least was the Z_HOME_POS. I can't imagine where the larger z axis comes from. Is it a "summer" change? I'm now having

#define Z_HOME_POS (203.4)

and the results are very good so far:

At the end - nophead was right. Thank you very much! Now I should answer the other questions:

• I'm using Ryan Marks Skeinforge PLA Profiles. So cooling starts at the 2nd layer.
  • Only the objects in this post are sliced with the original nophead PLA 0.2 profile
  • Climatic conditions in bavaria are hard to explain. We had temperatures up to 35°C during the Pentecost weekend, very dry and as well very sultry/muggy/humid days.
  • I store my filament in the plastic bags I receive from Faberdashery. I store them away from sunlight in a cabinet.

As you can see, I canceled the print because there is an other problem within the objects ... more in a seperate post.

MfG / Regards

Stefan

Blog / Gallery / Wiki / Mendel90 kit since Sep 2013 from Nophead / Original Prusa I3 MK3 since Feb 2018 /
June 21, 2014 12:21PM
The first layer still looks a bit too high. Have you measured a skirt and checked it comes out at 0.2mm?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 22, 2014 07:14AM
"the results are very good so far"

erm, it looks terrible :p

You first layer should look like a mirror (with ABS anyway) with no gaps at all.
When you level the bed you have to go around again a few times to make sure it's level all the way across, it looks to me like one corner is sticking up too much since the right side prints are better than the left.
June 22, 2014 10:26AM
Hi all,

well ... my Z_HOME_POS is getting closer to the real height ... right now I'm at 203.64 and the surface is starting to give me a mirror. Thanks again for all your help.

MfG / Regards

Stefan

June 22, 2014 01:37PM
Traveltrousers
"the results are very good so far"

erm, it looks terrible :p

You first layer should look like a mirror (with ABS anyway) with no gaps at all.
PLA too!

The left one is printed on glass, the other on carbon fibre. The reflected lights are LEDs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2014 01:38PM by Ralph.Hilton.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login