Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simplify3d. If anyone can help?

Posted by danlad1631 
Simplify3d. If anyone can help?
August 30, 2014 03:50PM
Just thought I'd give simplify3D a try, but need some help trying to understand something.

I bought some PLA from Faberdashery, which arrived today and thought I'd give it a go with my new software but it keeps slipping through the extruder. I tried tightening the grip on the PLA but that didn't help so I'm thinking is it the software. I've looked through the software but can't find anywhere to change the speed of the extruder, should I need to change it or is it something the software will take care of?

The brim starts fine with know slipping but as soon as it starts to print the object, it starts to slip.

Not sure if anyone can help but thought I'd ask.
Re: Simplify3d. If anyone can help?
August 30, 2014 04:44PM
Can you explain exactly what you mean by "slipping"?
Filament is driven through the JHead and it takes some pressure to do this. Are you talking about the hobbed bolt slipping on the filament? If this is the case, you will hear a clicking sound as the filament stays where it is as the hobbed bolt grinds away at it.

Alan
August 30, 2014 04:54PM
Sorry, yes it's slipping on the bolt and making a clicking sound. I've just printed the same model using Kisslicer and it printed fine, so it must be the software that's causing it to slip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2014 04:54PM by danlad1631.
August 30, 2014 06:48PM
Might be worth checking to see if your slicer is using extruder values which are "absolute" rather than "relative" which is what the default M90 firmware is expecting. If it is, the problem is easily rectified by including an M82 line in your start GCode. This will tell the firmware that all E values in your GCODE file are to be treated as absolute values. Of course, this may not be the cause of your problem but as said, worth checking.

Alan
August 31, 2014 02:53AM
Attached is the start Gcode its generating. Can you see where it's going wrong? It says use relative but then it's saying use absolute, What do I need to change or remove from the code to correct it?

Thanks
Attachments:
open | download - Simplify gcode.jpg (349.2 KB)
August 31, 2014 04:07AM
If I remove the G90 command that sorts the problem out, but I'm not sure how to do it the software. Attached is an image of some options I have to control the Gcode, I'm not to sure what some of them mean and not sure if I have the right ones selected. Any thoughts?
Attachments:
open | download - Settings.jpg (359.5 KB)
September 01, 2014 09:48AM
I used S3D straight off the bat just fine, but I did notice that its speeds were a lot faster than I used. I think they set it to use the maximum speeds for a well tuned version of whatever you have.
The settings are labeled and displayed differently than your average slicer. Your speed settings are under the Other tab, your extruder moves in near direct relation to your move speed when extruding, so these are the settings to change.
After a few months with S3D I decided it wasn't worth $140, they don't seem to be responding to inquiries for refunds, go figure. Cura seems to be superior. S3D doesn't always slice well, it hates thin walls and small holes and they often disappear from the output gcode.

Realizer- One who realizes dreams by making them a reality either by possibility or by completion. Also creating or renewing hopes of dreams.
"keep in mind, even the best printer can not print with the best filament if the user is the problem." -Ohmarinus
September 01, 2014 10:00AM
Ok thanks for that, I'll check cura out. What makes Cura better than S3D, in your opinion?
September 01, 2014 12:23PM
Installed Cura but have the same issue as I had with S3D, the extruder is set to absolute and not relative. How can I sort that out?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2014 12:23PM by danlad1631.
September 01, 2014 12:45PM
Alzibiff
The problem is easily rectified by including an M82 line in your start GCode. This will tell the firmware that all E values in your GCODE file are to be treated as absolute values.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login