Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Frame materials - MDF / DiBond / Steel

Posted by jhelmstetter 
Frame materials - MDF / DiBond / Steel
October 21, 2014 02:21PM
So I am researching as much as I can because I would like to build a 3D printer and the Mendel90 had my eye right now. A number of people have told me to start with a popular design and go from there. I agree that would be the easiest but I would like to spend money once on what I would like instead of being less satisfied. With that in mind, I would like to scale the printer to a 12x - 12y - ?z. I plan on using larger rods and linear bearings, either 10mm or 12mm depending on the material used. I know that MDF is sturdy and strong but also very heavy. I know DiBond is lighter but I don't know how strong it is in comparison.

Would it be worth possible double-stacking the Dibond to gain strength where needed and then use single stacks for the print bed and carriages? Or is that just cost prohibitive?

I though of solid aluminum plates but I believe that would be more expensive and not worth the expense. What do you think?

Steel would be very sturdy, very heavy and very expensive. Has anyone tried this yet?

What is the MDF was lightened by means of creating lattice-type cut-outs?

Another desire is to increase the print speeds and rapids of the printer. Yes, the faster you go, the more resolution you tend to lose but is .1 mm layers are desired, thar resolution is easily obtainable with a 200 step / revolution motor.
Re: Frame materials - MDF / DiBond / Steel
October 21, 2014 03:31PM
The way Mendel90 is designed the sheets don't need to be particularly stiff as long as it stands a on firm flat surface. The forces due to accelerating the carriages are along the length of the sheets where the stiffness of any sheet approaches infinity until it buckles.

3mm Dibond is as stiff as 2.8mm solid aluminium and stiffer than 6mm acrylic. You could probably find figures for that and MDF on-line for comparison.

Yes you could double stack it and use longer screws. Just configure it for 6mm sheets. You can also get thicker dibond, for example 4mm, but it is less common.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login