Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Setting the Z-height

Posted by Rich K. 
Setting the Z-height
November 11, 2014 09:19PM
Okay, my Mendel90 is FINALLY together and functioning (having proper motors helps...). I got everything leveled - actually, the bed itself, amazingly, didn't need to be messed with, just the z height adjusted from side to side (once that was level, the bed turned out to be level within .003", or .0762mm - close enough, I think, since part of that is warps and irregularity in my 3mm borosilicate glass plate).

Now, I need to calibrate my Z height, and I am a bit confused as to how to go about it. My Marlin is already set for my 8mm X 1.25 pitch Z screws (using Neil Darrow's fork). I hooked up my laptop to the printer using Pronterface/Printrun, but I didn't see any sort of display to tell me where my positioning was relative to the end-stops, so that when I put a .005" (.127mm) feeler guage between the nozzle and the print bed, I can then adjust my firmware so that it knows where Z0 actually is. For that matter, I'm not even sure where in Marlin I need to make that change once I DO find the correct value.

Help? Please? I'm only just that far away from making a test print (after I adjust the extruder steps per mm)...
Re: Setting the Z-height
November 11, 2014 11:32PM
Your screw diameter and pitch determine the steps per mm along the z axes. Assuming you have set that in the firmware correctly, it is not relevant to setting the z height. Use the Prusa Calculator to get your steps/mm values. [prusaprinters.org]

As for setting the z height: M114 will tell you the current position. [reprap.org]. So move your nozzle down to touch a measuring tool of known height, and then issue M114. Then modify the z height setting in your firmware according to the error. The setting is a bit different in Neil's version but it should be described here: [forums.reprap.org]
Re: Setting the Z-height
November 12, 2014 05:05AM
The manual describes how to set the Z height accurately. It is a two stage process to allow for how much the hot end expands when hot.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login